This is not meant to be a general review, rather a review as it relates to my equipment and use. OK, maybe I’m just whining. After concluding that I cannot continue to carry 50 to 60 lbs. up and down mountains (or even moderate hills) and being unwilling to give up the 5x7 format (a Linhof Technika) or a complete arsenal of lenses, I began by replacing my Bogen tripod with the Feisol CT-3442.

I purchased the CT-3442 with a center column, the basic plate and the leveling head. My plan was to use the leveling head and eliminate the weight of my Bogen 410 geared head. Almost all of my photography is done with a level camera so I don’t need much movement.

I was immediately impressed with the quality of the Feisol. It is well crafted and plenty sturdy. Fit and finish are excellent. It came with a carry case and several small adjustment tools. I have no complaints whatsoever, except as it fits or doesn’t fit my needs.

The Linhof weighs around 12 lbs., so with a lens and film holder it is 13 or 14 lbs. and the Feisol handles the load with ease. It is sturdy and compact, but not perfect.

First, because it is so light, the combination is rather top heavy. With even a slight breeze, I am leery of leaving my dark cloth attached when unattended. I know I can weigh it down in various ways, but this was never an issue before.

Second, I hate the twist type leg clamps. I suppose I’ll learn to use them but the Bogen clamp is so simple. It’s tight or it’s loose, there’s no in between.

Of minor concern, the Bogen apron that attaches to the tripod legs and creates a clean, dry three-pocket shelf when the tripod is set up, doesn’t fit the Feisol. After 25 years of using it, I don’t think I can do without it so I am in the process of building one to fit.

Now for the real issue: My plan to use the leveling head isn’t working out. Unlike the leg clamps, there is no middle ground on the leveling head. It is tight or it is loose. Depending on the lens choice, and the attachment point (the Linhof has two) the camera can be difficult to level because it isn’t always balanced. I can live with that, but if I need to tweak the composition (which I always do) by rotating right or left I have to release the head. Then I am back to square one. This has proven to be unworkable for me. If I had a rotating plate that worked independently from the leveling device, that would solve my problem (ideas anyone?). I have looked at some panoramic devices but they all seam to be geared to 35mm equipment.

So if you guys can help solve this rotation problem I can learn to live with the little things and give this tripod a very positive rating.

Jerome