Thread: First E-6

First E-6

Well after debating sending it out to a lab I finally decided to give processing my own E-6 a try. I am pretty happy with the results, I used the Unicolor rapid kit (3 bath) and it seems to have worked quite well. I also noticed that the instructions for the unicolor kit are identical (down to the illustrations) to the Arista kit Freestyle sells so I have a suspicion that they are the same. I thought I would post a few of the shots here, any comments good or bad are more than welcome.

Re: First E-6

Are these 4x5's?

I am only familiar with the 6 bath process (Tetenal). Does the 3 bath kit include the Stabilizer?

A three bath "E-6" like process would HAVE to have a 1st. developer, Color developer and Blix, so that wouldn't leave room for a 4th chemical. Any three bath is a big compromise. The color stability of the final image will not be good in the long term.

Looks pretty good to me. Did you use a jobo processor (or similar) to keep the temperature constant? Gene, I was considering trying some E-6 processing myself, you would recommend the 6 bath process? How does it effect longevity of the slides?

Evan

I use the 3 bath Tetenal, it has a stabilizer so should be 4 bath!

I assume the Unicolour kit is the same.

Gari

Make a duplicate and send one to a pro E6 lab.

Blix does not remove all that bleach+fix does and can not be made to work. Stabilizer is not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by argos33 View Post
    Looks pretty good to me. Did you use a jobo processor (or similar) to keep the temperature constant? Gene, I was considering trying some E-6 processing myself, you would recommend the 6 bath process? How does it effect longevity of the slides?

Evan
    I used a unicolor drum and basically used the technique from the unicolor article on this forum. I imagine that the temperature may have moved a little, the drum was warmed with the pre soak but that is it.

Yes the photo's attached are 4X5's

As far as the 3 bath vs the 6 bath I may try the 6 bath version but the three is the only one I have used so far.

For any of the 3 bath kits:

What is the capacity of the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    For any of the 3 bath kits:

What is the capacity of the kit?
    Freestyle documentation here (identical to Unicolor) says 32 4X5's or 8 8X10's in a quart.