Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chamonix 8 x 20 is here!!

The Chamonix 8 x 20 is here!!

Hi all,

As promised, I wanted to provide some pictures of my new Chamonix 8 x 20 camera. First, a short story ...

I read the Chamonix threads here way back and it was at a time I was thinking about getting a 7 x 17 camera. After more reading, I decided to contact Hugo Zhang for some general info. My luck, he lives in Southern California and agreed to bring over a 7 x 17 camera to my office. It was the beautiful blonde model and the thing I noticed right away was the build quality and fit. Having a musical background, I have seen some quality woodwork on string instruments and this camera reminded me of looking at the same. The movements were smooth and everything worked well. After having done some more "testing" I tacked a 7 x 17 and 8 x 20 piece of paper on my wall at home and stared at them for weeks. After more research on lenses, film, etc. I decided that the 8 x 20 just looked better. I contacted Hugo and asked for the price for the 8 x 20 with a couple of holders and the cost difference was not so bad.

I made the deal with Hugo last week and now I am the proud owner of a beautiful, new 8 x 20. This camera is quite beautiful with multi-colored dark woods with a dash of light wood in the base support.

Now ... on to the photos

Here we have the supplied case and close up of the base and the overall base when folded up.

Re: The Chamonix 8 x 20 is here!!

Once we have the camera out of the case, it is quite compact and folds almost as flat as my Shen-Hao 5 x 7. Pretty remarkable!

Next we have Chamonix's label affixed to the base and some views of camera flat and ready to be opened.

Trust me, my cheap digital camera does not capture the beauty of this camera ...

Next, it's time to get the camera open. With my Shen-Hao 5 x 7, it's a bit of a gymnastic trick to get the front stand loosened, pulled all the way up in the full rise position, then swung over, lining up the clasps in the support tracks, etc. It took me a while to get that right! With the Chamonix, you simply loosen the rear standard arms, pull the back up and the front is loose, waiting for you to decide which hole to screw the front standard into based on your lens and focus need, etc. Takes just seconds.

Here are some more views ...

Terence

Damn, that is pretty. The mahoghany front standard is beautiful.

What is the max extension?

Congratulation Rick. That is one beautiful camera. Almost to nice to use.

And on to more views of the camera ...

Here we have the back open, a view of the levels, the full "frontal" and the camera closed back up.

You can use Sinar type boards on this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Olson View Post
    Next, it's time to get the camera open. With my Shen-Hao 5 x 7, it's a bit of a gymnastic trick to get the front stand loosened, pulled all the way up in the full rise position, then swung over, lining up the clasps in the support tracks, etc. It took me a while to get that right! With the Chamonix, you simply loosen the rear standard arms, pull the back up and the front is loose, waiting for you to decide which hole to screw the front standard into based on your lens and focus need, etc. Takes just seconds.

Here are some more views ...
    That is a real beauty, Rick.

Build and finish on the Chamonix cameras is about the best I have seen for wood cameras.

And, the Chamonix cameras are highly practical in use, suggesting to me that they were designed by real photographers experienced in using the format. That is rarely the case with current ULF cameras as most models suggest that the maker never even contemplated actually taking the camera in the field and making a negative.

The above comment does not apply to Richard Ritter cameras, which are very practical and clearly show that the maker is also an image maker who understands use of ULF cameras in the field.

Sandy King

Time for the film holders. These are light wood only and have carbon fiber darkslides. They are quite nice also ...

Here are the camera specs ...

8 x 20 weight 4650g(white), 5110g(black)
    Bellows Max: 690mm
    Bellows Min: 100mm,
    Rear standard tilt 10 degrees
    Front rise and fall 100mm
    Left and right shift 75mm

That's all for now!! Time to load up some film for the weekend!

Rick,

I think I hear the sound of serious "drooling" out there on the forum.

Congratulations on the purchase... pretty sweet looking camera!

Have fun with it.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Rick, just curious does your have 5" lensboards, my 14x17 does. I don't know if this is true but according to the ebay ads a sinar board will fit, might save you from making any.
    PBrooks