Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which staining developer?

Re: Which staining developer?

I have used, but not formally tested PMK, WD2D+, and Pyrocat HD and have chosen Pyrocat as the best of the three for my purposes. They are all good, but somewhat different and those differences can be subtle. I'm glad I tried all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    They make less of a difference with the T-Max films whose emulsion does not benefit from the stain as much as the other films.

steve simmons
    Nonsense.

I also use PMK, Rollo pyro but my prefered developer is Wd2d+. I get some really nice negs with it. But, I think of what I'm photographing, the film I'm using, the lighting contrast and then decide which developer to us.
    Example is if i'm working in soft light like Oregon cloud cover the its Wd2d+, If I have a harsher contrast then I go for PMK. Both of these are used for roll films and some sheets. The Rollo pyro is strickly for the jobo.
    This last summer, I did a comparison of all three for a workshop. All gave great results. The Rollo had a stronger mask/stain followed by PMK and last was Wd2d+. All the films were Ilford HP5 and FP4. They all printed at different times according to the mask/stain.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Tmax 400 in the Pyrocat MC is just stunning and the prints really glow. I mix it in Glycol and it seems the stuff could last forever. Pyrocat may have changed my life. Thanks Sandy...Evan Clarke
    Evan,

Thank you.

It is very gratifying to read such a positive testimonial.

Sandy

Thanks Don- I am waiting to try the new 4x5 100/400 tmax coming soon from Kodak, in Rollo Pyro in a Jobo - P

Thanks for the replies. I was particularly worried about using it in a daylight tank. I don't have a darkroom at home, and am left to process in the kitchen with my combi plan. Does PMK work ok in a daylight tank. I understand that Pyrocat goes well with this combination, but have read that its shelf life is only one year.

Thanks,

Len

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Metcalf View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was particularly worried about using it in a daylight tank. I don't have a darkroom at home, and am left to process in the kitchen with my combi plan. Does PMK work ok in a daylight tank. I understand that Pyrocat goes well with this combination, but have read that its shelf life is only one year.

Thanks,

Len
    Len,

The shelf life of Pyrocat-HD mixed in water is about a year. However, Formulary has been supplying Part A mixed in glycol for a couple of years, and mixed in glycol the shelf life is pretty much indefinite. I have some on hand mixed in glycol over three years ago and it still works fine.

Sandy King

Another vote for Pyrocat HD. I use it with FP-4+ in 8x10 in a Unicolor drum and it just works.

Yong-ran Zhu

I have used Pyrocat HD bought from the PF for almost 6 months with FP4+ sheet film. I got very good results and stopped using Xtol, which I used for many years. Once I saw Evan used tmax 400 with Pyrocat MC, then I tried Pyrocat HD with Tmax 400. It gave me so good negatives which I never had before. I showed one testing picture to Evan, which was made in a sunny afternoon. The sun came from windows and direct projected on my dinning table. The table cloth was white and some white silky texture. The light range of the image was Zone 3 to Zone 9 and a half. The image was printed on the Ilford warmtone FB paper. It shows highlight part with all the details. My view is that Tmax 400 with Pyrocat HD or MC is wonderful combination. Thanks Sandy!
    Yong-ran Zhu

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Len,

The shelf life of Pyrocat-HD mixed in water is about a year. However, Formulary has been supplying Part A mixed in glycol for a couple of years, and mixed in glycol the shelf life is pretty much indefinite. I have some on hand mixed in glycol over three years ago and it still works fine.

Sandy King
    Sandy or anyone else, do you have any idea on the shelf life of PMK part "A" mixed as the concentrate stock solution using distilled water. -- In other words not mixed for use which is rather short I believe. Also the same info for part "B" ??