Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: favorite b&w paper

Re: favorite b&w paper

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    John can you tell me more about the Fomabrom?
    domenico,

I saw it on J and C's website.It only came from J and C in, IIRC 9"x12"---a fiber paper in grades medium and hard. Retro Photographic in the UK carries it, perhaps with more options, but the last time I was at Freestyle they had just about every Foma paper but that one.

I've heard good things about it. How good? If I ever get my hands on some I'll let you know! OTOH, perhaps it is just another magic bullet I'm chasing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Emaks graded is worth a try. Great stuff in ansco 120 & 130. Has a very slightly warm base, but it can go cool- or warm-toned very nicely.

Basically, I stopped printing when Agfa Portriga Rapid disappeared. Agfa MCC was a nice paper, and is said to be "coming back on the market."
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    David have you tried Foma warmtone classic?
    Not like agfa, I admit, but a nice warm paper.
    D.
    Domenico, thanks for the tip. I have not tried it. I liked the Agfa due to its slight warm tone without the cream base. Is the Foma similar?

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Domenico, thanks for the tip. I have not tried it. I liked the Agfa due to its slight warm tone without the cream base. Is the Foma similar?
    Uhmm, no David, FOma is cream based, more than Ilford WM.
    Good luck, it's getting a bit hard....

Dave Karp

Thanks. It is not much of a problem for me (losing Agfa MCC). Mostly I prefer neutral or colder toned prints for my stuff. I do have a few that seemed more appropriate in a warmer toned paper, and the MCC was perfect for me. Well, I have heard those rumors that MCC is coming back over on APUG. Great if true.

Andrew Moxom

Agfa MCC111 paper is likely going to be brought back to the table with ADOX in the driving seat. On APUG, Adox has managed to solicit a large number of folks to participate in a paper test (of which I was part of). They have recreated the original MCC111 recipe after they acquired some of the Agfa MCC staff, and equipment. Paper base is cooler than original MCC, but the paper responds very well, and is still warm toned. So far, the paper is on a colder base as they cannot get supplies form the original manufacturer. The paper reacts almost identically to the original spec though, albeit about a 1/4 grade more contrasty. This large scale test will be the first of a series of potential reintroductions of Agfa paper, and maybe even APX100 film emulsions will re-emerge. ADOX has stated for the record, that the success of MCC111 is their primary focus, and if it works well, they will look into re-introducing APX100 and maybe even some of their other older papers. So it is not all doom and gloom. It will mean that we will have to support their paper once it is brought to market around July of 2008. Rumor has it that an RC version will be made available sooner.

As for other current remaining papers. I am enjoying Oriental WT VC paper, and Fomaborm Variant 111, which was touted to be an Agfa MCC111 replacement. It does not even come close to MCC111 though and it is a lot cooler.

Dave Karp

Andrew,

Thanks for the update. The new MCC sounds like it would be the ideal warmtone paper for me! I hope it all works out.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattg View Post
    If you haven't tried Ilford Galerie it might be worth buying a box of 8x10 and seeing what it can do. I have tried quite a few VC papers recently and don't think any of them have the richness of shadow tone nor the subtle highlights that Gallerie does.
    I second that. A graded paper has a very different tonality compared to VC, and Ilford Galerie is the best of the lot (in most cases).

I second that. A graded paper has a very different tonality compared to VC, and Ilford Galerie is the best of the lot (in most cases).
    It's been more than 15 years since i last used Gallerie, how is that responding to selenium toner.

Ilfords WT is my favorite WT paper, especially after the base was changed to a more neutral white.
    Kentona is another favorite and recently i have used the Slavich in single weight for contact printing, it is a great paper and is beautiful after a couple of minutes in 1+9 selenium toner.