Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kodak's new T-Max 400

Re: Kodak's new T-Max 400

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    My hope is this will let me move from 100 to 400 for everything. It is already close, and I love the range of 400.
    Ed,

400 Tmax is a wonderful film and if what Kodak says is true it will be even better. These are exciting times!

I still don't like the idea of a 10 sheet box though
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Ed,

400 Tmax is a wonderful film and if what Kodak says is true it will be even better. These are exciting times!

I still don't like the idea of a 10 sheet box though
    Agree. I like 25 sheets as a middle of the road compromise. I will mention this to Kodak.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Kodak has the technology to accomplish this if they chose to do so but T Max 100 is already as sharp as a hand full of razor blades. It would be trying to put more shine on an already polished diamond. I was told that they are going to leave it as it is.

Cheers!
    Making Tmax 100 finer grained and higher resolving is something that I would wholeheartedly endorse, especially in roll film. I certainly hope that Kodak decides to improve this film, before Fuji improves Acros and Kodak falls behind.

Steve Gombosi

I'm sorry to hear this, since I also shoot a lot of MF (and recently had my grandfather's IIIf-s serviced by Focal Point, so I might shoot some casual 35 as well). An improved TMX might be overkill for LF, but some of us would very much appreciate it in smaller formats.

Steve
    Kodak has the technology to accomplish this if they chose to do so but T Max 100 is already as sharp as a hand full of razor blades. It would be trying to put more shine on an already polished diamond. I was told that they are going to leave it as it is.

Cheers!

Steve Gombosi

I wonder if all the recent surveys showing a continued preference for film (at least for some kinds of work) influenced the release of this film. It would be nice to think that Kodak has started listening again.

Steve

Cheers!
    Is T Max 100 sheet film going to remain with its UV blocking layer?

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Is T Max 100 sheet film going to remain with its UV blocking layer?

Vaughn
    Don't take it personally but Yes. I do not see Kodak making a change to take out the UV layer on T Max 100 anytime soon since very few people have expressed any desire for this to take place.

As long as we are on the subject I would like everyone to appreciate the fact that for Kodak to accomodate our request for the new T Max 400 sheet film to not have the UV coating they are doing a separate emulsion coating run at a considerable incremental internal cost. Kodak did not have to do it but they stepped up to the plate to accomodate the alt process and Azo photographers and anyone else that uses a UV light source for their printing process. To say that I was elated that they accomodated us would be a serious understatement.

Cheers!

Another vote for a 25 sheet box. And I for one would like to see 5x7 available at online suppliers with no minimum number of boxes requirement--as Tri-X and Tmax100 are now.

It seems to me that every 10 sheet 4x5 box I've seen from Kodak was about the same thickness as a 25 sheet box. Shouldn't this simply be an issue of how many sheets they decide to load into the box? I'm certainly in favor of a 25 sheet box of 5x7. This makes life a lot easier for me in that I'm not having to thaw a 50 sheet box just to extract half the contents. It also makes exposed film management in the field a bit easier (more, thinner boxes to divide up different days work or different development requirements).

25 sheets yes, 10 is just to few.
    Another thing i would really appreciate is a longer film envelope. Kodaks film envelopes are just to short, when cut open it is difficult to cover up remaining film and i am always worried that film will get fogged. Perhaps to much to ask but thought i should throw it out there.