Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Generation Photo Gallery Web Apps?

Still Developing

Re: Next Generation Photo Gallery Web Apps?

Hi Frank.

I'm working on a photo gallery system at the moment and I'd be interested in knowing what functionality you would like to see in a system (accessible, standards compliant, css layout being a given).

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    Good luck finding a programmer that'll help you make it work. There are a HUGE amount of dis-honest sharks out there in the web programming world that will take your money and run. Be very careful, learn the language yourself or have a close friend help you... I will never, EVER recommend hiring someone completely foreign.
    Thanks for the tip. I won't be doing any business with you either

I hope you've advised the US govt to shut down all international trade. Talk about small minded bigotry.

are you looking to embed this in one of your current sites or would it be a standalone site?

If you are on a shared hosting server, the concept of batch processing say 100 uploaded images is going to make you unpopular since it will consume large amounts of cpu for a long time. Infact most shared hosting servers will timeout before your script has processed all the resizes and generation of thumbnails. You would have to check with your host as to whether thats a realistic request to make.

www.lightboxphoto.com

may be worth looking at since they have recently made it xhtml transitional compliant. Request the admin demo from them.

On my latest web update I just kept with static pages and figure the discipline of manually updating my portfolios will keep me from putting mediocre images up....

I try to optimize my jpgs by sharpening very carefully for the screen, so I rather not have the web app do any resizing.

I really like the new ways some sites like myspace allow you to re-order and edit captions of the uploaded images... I haven't seen that available off the shelf yet. Actually the myspace model works very well, it is one of the only nice looking parts of myspace I think. If you could do galleries of 20, 40, 60, that would be all you need.

I thought your sites were based on custom movabletype templates. Have you looked at the current MT photo plugins?

only the blog part so far...

both MT and wordpress have plugins for viewing flickr images but I have no idea about the sorting options. Really depends on your brief for viewing functionality combined with text etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Champagne View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I won't be doing any business with you either

I hope you've advised the US govt to shut down all international trade. Talk about small minded bigotry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls
    Is that foreign as in not American or is it just a totally prejudiced remark that anyone not Red, White and Blue is a crook.
    ---------- A non American
    Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag
    Uh, it means someone who you're not close to and don't know. As in American, European, anything ending with "an" and whatever other country you can find. It has nothing to do with nationality. I'm just speaking from experience how, for a website that I was supposed to have launched in August, is now probably not going to be 100% fully up until next week, two and a half months late and four programmers and one very nasty letter from lawyer to programmer #3 later. I was on a programming board just the other day and they were saying how many people out there are running scams and just take your money if you're not exorbinantly cautious. I'm definitely not the only one who's been screwed.
    Some people never bother to read.

Frank take a look at Gallery 2. I've used their open source software for years and have been very pleased with it. There are quite a few plugins for it as well that allow you to organize and upload directly out of Aperture/iPhoto/etc. if that's your thing...