Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa

Re: Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa

Quote Originally Posted by David Carson View Post
    Doesn't the urethane foam wear out, just as an o-ring would?
    Not to date and we first started selling them in 1985

I have two Rimowa cases & my sons each have one as well - great cases & very well built.

One of my cases must be about 20 years old & it's still in great shape along with the foam.

Nice thing is you just open & close them with latches w/out any valves, etc. .

Due to the sealing nature it's important to always have dessicant inside regardless of Rimowa or other sealing cases.

Also give HPRC cases a look. They are new to the US from Italy. The 2550W model is the wheeled carry-on case equivalent size to the Storm iM 2500 that was discussed above.

Here's the site... www.hprc-usa.com

And here's the case... http://hprc-usa.com/2550w.htm

Scroll to the bottom to see all the photos.

I own Pelican, Halliburton and Rimowa cases. They are all fine but if you need a extreme duty case to protect your equipment from a monkey with a gun, the Rimowa Tropicana is what you want. Mines around twenty years old and the foam is fine.

Bob,

Where would one find information on sizes available, prices, etc. for the Tropicana Cases?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    David,

First of all HP Marketing does carry Rimowa. Both Tropicana equipment cases and Rimowa luggage are current products and are in stock.

The Tropicana cases seal against water, dust, humidity, etc by a raised ridge that is the top edge of the "tub" pressing against the special urethane foam that the inside of the top is lined with. Once the top is closed and latched (with the two exterior case locks) the contents are immune to damage from water, dust, etc to 67'.

Thanks for all the great replies! This, as always, is a nice community to be in.

I'm favoring a Storm Case for value on the $, but on the advice of Mr. Petronio and Mr. Vener, I am considering a lightware 2012 as well. Can't stand on it, but I checked on out at the local pro shop and I see why people like them.

Can't figure out why they are quite so expensive, though.

how is the divide set in the storm case? I had a divide set for pelican case, which I don't like. It is too soft. I need to fit a camera, a gnass lens bag, and a few film holders, a roll film back, a quickload holder, and a spotmeter in the case. I have called midwestcase company, they don't have displays, all storm cases are drop shipped from manufacture.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

I purchased Pelican case a year ago. I store my core photo equipmnet. It's Watertight, crushproof, and dust proof. Very satisfied with it.

Pelican 1630
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    Bob,

Where would one find information on sizes available, prices, etc. for the Tropicana Cases?

Pete
    At camera stores. I can't tell you who may have listed them online. But dealers like Samy's do stock them.

Re: Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa + now, Think Tank

Ok, since my first post, I've been flip-flopping over hard-case vs semi-hard cases, etc. I think I've narrowed it down to the Think Tank Airport International or Security. They (I think) will be crush-resistant enough for my car, even though I can't stand on them. The Storm Cases, while really nice, actually are measured with a 2" lid added, which is taken up by foam, so they're not as deep as I though until one gets into a really heavy case.

The only question I need answered is about the comparative rigidity between the Think Tanks. Think Tank's staff said the Security is a bit less rigid. I've seen the International in person, and it's quite stiff...I like it. But I like the more accessible design of the Security.

I figured I'd try the mighty intertubes for more views. How would you compare the rigidity of the two? How 'less rigid" is the Security?