This one has obviously struck my fancy. My "ideal" camera, the Toho 8X10 was something I let go a while back and still kicking myself for it considering the price. Would have saved a million headaches since it was a maximum size I want to go w/exception of consideration to maybe 7X11.

Some questions for you guys doing these conversions:

1) Perhaps the most important question: What cameras on the used market should I be looking at specifically? I want the lightest variation regardless of what backs end up going onto it. I know Arca has been a primary one mentioned, but the Sinar system is modular also, though I am not aware of the weight involved with this one. What are all the cameras and/or parts from cameras that can be used, and more importantly, their respective weight so that I have an idea of what I can expect to see in the finalized version? In other words, say I make an Arca w/8X10 back, what would final weight be? Same for a Sinar or "any" other cam that fits the "system".

Redundant question, but very important to me...So what would be the lightest cameras, specific models, to be on the lookout for, that would do a maximum either 8X10 or "maybe" a 7X11?

2) What are the "essential" parts that one needs to have for starters? In other words, what standards, rails, etc. are necessary items to have for the setup?

3) Say I wanted to have a 7X11 back....Would I be wanting to find some 8X10-4X5 type bellows? Not sure if this questions makes sense, but I say 8X10 to 4X5 bellows as the front standard is obviously a 4X5 type standard while the rear standard is 8X10 and maybe a 7X11 back as the maximum size.

4) How much labor is involved in this kind of project?

5) Last thing, "excluding" the labor part, if I am to find the pieces as "scraps", meaning, finding all the parts in various auctions, local sales, etc. what is an
approximate pricepoint I can be looking at for the total sum of these parts...lets just keep things to the camera parts and say, one 8X10 back.

Ever since seeing the Arca-Lotus design, and obviously, with my love and sadness to have seen that Toho 8X10 go for so cheap during a time when I was confused about direction and what to do, I'm really feeling that this is the "ideal" path for me due to A) Weight, B) Movements, C) If Kerry and the very nice John has done it, why shouldn't I be doing it??? ...of course D) I just think that Arca-Lotus and the Cam featured w/the 110XL are just delicious looking...look modern, clean, high-tech, and also so simplistic. I'm especially keen on the Arca Swiss w/110XL featured on the one link regarding pre-production cams. It's just a wonderfully tasteful looking device, at least for me who cares less about aesthetics, though it's always a nice bonus .