Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod leg cords?

Re: Tripod leg cords?

Instead of sailor hardware a simple sailor knot would allow adjustment and eliminate yet another small part to break or disappear.

John

I just picked up several of the "footloops" from Richard Ritter yesterday at the workshop. I already had 10' of 1/4" nylon cord. I was going to put thje setup on my Ries, but in reevaluating the tripod construction, it really isn't necessary. The Ries had a reliable locking mechanism at the top that will keep the legs from splaying. It is a great idea though for any tripod in which there is a chance of the legs moving from under the camera.

James

I bought a Berlebach and it has the metal loops on each leg for a cord or chain but none came with it. The Berlebach has the anti-splaying head mechanics too so I don't need the cord connection. It could be used to put a bag on I guess. I can see why the older tripods had such a thing. The legs were attached by a simple hinge and nothing to keep them from spreading out.

Years ago I photographed with Anthony Guidice of Fine Art Photo Supply, who had just written a newsletter bashing the tripod cord. Then he saw mw use it to stabilize my tripod legs on perilous rocks, and hang my darkcloth so it wouldn't become a sail. "Wow!" He said, "That's fantastic!" He was then sternly lectured about being an armchair photographer who wrote nonsense without first trying it.

Yup, it's mostly a clothesline for my darkcloth, but I'd hate to guess how many times it's saved my camera in a stiff breeze.

Check EMS for cord locks. The cord's cheap and easy to apply, and is wholly wonderful. Almost as good as the carpenter's apron...
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com