Thread: Using DSLR as light meter

Question Using DSLR as light meter

Hello all.

I am just about to make the leap into LF as an image quality upgrade to my DSLR work.
    Question is, do any of you use a DSLR as a light meter?
    I know that my Canon is 1/3rd of a stop over at 100 ASA, so dialling it down by that amount would make the exposures correct. I am just thinking, do I need a dedicated light meter when I have a very good 3 area (spot, centre, evaluative), system built into the camera.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Chris.

Re: Using DSLR as light meter

run a search with these keywords:

DSLR lightmeter

3d Visual Effects artist

I've used mine on occasion for medium format (before I got my light meter) I didn't have any problems, other than having to carry another camera with me. I didn't use the spot meter in the camera, I just used the evaluative meter type and it worked just fine in every situation. If it was a high contrast scene, I'd take a photo with the digital and actually look at it, but most of the time just looking through the viewfinder and looking at the aperture/speed was good enough.

you may be tempted to use the dslr as a composition tool as well. i'd leave it at home. if you don't have a lightmeter, sunny 16 and bracketing works on negative film. it takes a minute to get used to the image orientation on LF cameras. bringing your dslr along may make it harder for you to break with small camera aesthetic choices and ways of seeing.

Chris, I do ist still although I am lusting for a dedicated spotmeter. I am shooting BW, chromes and color negatives. The positive thing is that it works (the meters bilt in SLRs or DLSRs are very good) - negative one is that it is large and heavy and it takes your thinking out of the way - very soon you will start to rely on what you see on the screen and will gain little experience.

But DSLR is better that no lightmeter at all. I find the film and the processing costs (at leas the color as I do BW at home) to high to do the guessing bussiness me than necesasry.

BTW wellcome aboard and enjoy. Do not let the technicallities overhelm you as many of us do ...
    Matus

I think the DSLR meter would be preferable to an inexpensive old meter which had bettery problems. In the long run, you may want to get a meter. I would use your DSLR until you have the funds and experience to get a really good meter. Meters, both good and not so good, tend to last a long time.
    Ken