Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 12x20" in Action at Mt. Everest

Re: Chamonix 12x20" in Action at Mt. Everest

I'm with Tuan. The heavily-visited parts of the greater ranges are probably the easiest places in the world to organise ULF logistics. Which is not to sneer at anyone who goes to Everest with an LF camera, but the how-do-I-carry-it-all aspect is more easily solved there than, say, Yosemite.

Hugo,

The pictures are wonderful. Thanks for posting. Can you give us a translation into English of what was written?

Thank you,

John

12x20 in color? Thats mightily impressive too! I wish my monitor could do it justice. Thanks for sharing!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Hasn't an IMAX crew been up there already? That's got to be more stuff to carry than a 12x20".
    The IMax camera that David Beshears' crew carried weighed about 50 pounds but that's just the camera, all the associated gear had to weigh much more. For example, a reel or cassette or whatever form the film took only lasted about five minutes. Since they were making many hours worth of film the sheer volume of film containers alone had to be staggering (not to mention the pleasure of changing film in an intricate camera every five minutes in sub-zero temperatures).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    Hugo,

The pictures are wonderful. Thanks for posting. Can you give us a translation into English of what was written?

Thank you,

John
    Let me try this.

He shoots at the attitude 5800~6000m with two cameras 1220 and 45, mostly 1220, use 45 only at place where it is hard to set up 1220 like this photo.

Things have changed a lot since his last visit 7 years ago. A lot of glaciers have melted.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Let me try this.

He shoots at the attitude 5800~6000m with two cameras 1220 and 45, mostly 1220, use 45 only at place where it is hard to set up 1220 like this photo.

Things have changed a lot since his last visit 7 years ago. A lot of glaciers have melted.

Thank you,

John

John,

I was planning to do a word-by-word translation for you tonight. I am grateful that Songyun has helped.

Basically Hass, the designer and part owner of Chamonix cameras, had one assistant and one cook and about 10 people to haul the stuff to their base at 5800-6000m. He mentioned that at higher attitutde, there were no more ice towers. Compared to his last trip in 2000, so much ice has been melted and gone due to the global warming. They had to change their shoes a lot. He mentioned that he used his down jacket as a darkcloth in the above picture dangling on an icy cliff with a Chamonix 45N-1 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    John,

I was planning to do a word-by-word translation for you tonight. I am grateful that Songyun has helped.

Basically Hass, the designer and part owner of Chamonix cameras, had one assistant and one cook and about 10 people to haul the stuff to their base at 5800-6000m. He mentioned that at higher attitutde, there were no more ice towers. Compared to his last trip in 2000, so much ice has been melted and gone due to the global warming. They had to change their shoes a lot. He mentioned that he used his down jacket as a darkcloth in the above picture dangling on an icy cliff with a Chamonix 45N-1 camera.

Thank you Hugo. Very interesting that he could make such a trip with such a large camera. Certainly a testament to strength both in the camera and the builder. For me at age 67, a trip of dreams, but then I made a few of those in my twenties. I would like to be able to shoot 12x20, but wonder how long I will be able to handle my Phillips 7x17 in far less strenuous settings. Rhetorical questions. Thank you.

John

Anyone know if this photographer has a web site? I'd love to see some of the stuff he's shot.

90% of photography is being there, yeah?