Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 view camera with 35mm DSLR

4x5 view camera with 35mm DSLR

Hi !

First, let me tell you I know nothing about large format view camera, apart reading lot of articles these last weeks. I use 35mm EOS-D and am thinking about adapting one on a sinar F1 or P2 (the P2 seems easier to adapt, meaning puting back the DSLR sensor on film focal plane to keep angles, focus and such, but is more expensive). I'm about building a plate to put the dslr back to center its sensor, but I'v seen on sinar documentation that a 0.3mm back or front is really horrible for result. So will I need such precision if I want to use scheimpflug rule with reading angles on standards ?

Now, if I follow this road, I will need some LF lenses that allow movements (which is indeed why I'm interested in such system) but don't want poor lenses in resolution. I will use around 16mp FF 35mm sensor and don't want inferior resolution than with Canon L primes.

So, without going to HR digital LF lenses which are very expensive, what would be some good lenses for such use ? Seems symmar 180 APO and Schneider super angulon 90 f/8 are good and not too expensive ? I would have 50mm, 85mm, and maybe 135mm perspective equivalent on 24x36. So I guess I will need a 150mm to have field of view of a 50mm 24x36, but I will keep perspective/deformation from a 150mm as focal lenght doesn't change with the format, right ? So maybe a 90mm would be a good starting lense. Which one should I look for on ebay to get a relatively high resolution one in let's say 150/250€ price range ?

Thanks for any information,

Nicolas

Re: 4x5 view camera with 35mm DSLR

It will depend on the length of the lens. I use a 90mm comfortably with my Canon 5D but bear in mind that you will not get full use of the lens due to the mirror box getting in the way. I normally can get up to about 6 full 35mm equivalent images. That is two of the length x 3 of the width. Any more the mirror box hits the edges. I have used a 65mm from a 2x3 camera with my Sinar P. But I have a recessed lens board for that. Not to bore anyone anymore with my rig, here is a picture of it again.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

You can buy a sliding EOS/Graflok adapter fairly cheaply (under $200) from fotodiox.com, rather than making one yourself. It also comes in Nikon mount.

Sometimes fotodiox doesn't have them in stock but there is a Chinese equivelent available at e-bay for about $130. The one I have was $400 made in Finland and is no longer available.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

David/Greg, can one of you point me to the actual page on fotodiox? I just searched around and couldn't find it. Maybe I just need more am coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    David/Greg, can one of you point me to the actual page on fotodiox? I just searched around and couldn't find it. Maybe I just need more am coffee.
    http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/index.php

Don Bryant

I'm with Ted. It just looks like a pointer site where somebody's being paid by the click.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I think it was about five years ago when I was first interested in marrying the Canon with Sinar that fotodiox came up. At that time they did have a Nikon-4x5 adapter. I wrote them about an EOS adapter and they said then it was in production....whatever that really means. I waited another year for an adapter that never came through. The StudioTool that I seen on another forum happened to have come up for sale by the writer of the article who turned me on to this type of image capture. I keep hearing about the fotodiox versions but never seen one. I do have their Visioflex-Canon EOS adapter and am very satistfied with the quality. I just now looked for the 4x5 to EOS and can't find it either. I would go to the e-Bay and there is one for buy it now for $129 from China. It should work just fine. http://cgi.ebay.com/Moveable-Adapter...QQcmdZViewItem
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

I saw it at PMA. If it's not on the website, you might have to e-mail them. It was also in their printed catalogue, if I remember correctly, but I didn't keep the catalogue.

If you go to the fotodiox and then to lens adapters on the first page you will find the 4x5 large format to Nikon adapter. The EOS adapter is the same thing with the Canon mount. I have one that I bought about 3-4 months ago. Same price as the Nikon adapter. It wasn't listed when I bought one either so I called them and they had two at the time. I bought one. So, call there number and ask them if or when they will have them. You could buy the Nikon adapter and put a Nikon to Canon adapter on it, possibly. I found that my 90mm super angulon hits the adapter before infinity focus. The physical lens and the depth of the Canon sensor are not compatible. Longer lenses work, however. Lenses made for digital may work at shorter focal lengths.

I have found that if you call tha company and ask lots of questions, they are willing to answer what they can.