Thread: Problem with Microtek i800

Paul Cocklin

Problem with Microtek i800

Well, I made the mistake of getting a Microtek i800 without reading the reviews on this site. I got it because it seemed to be the cheapest scanner out there that can scan 8x10 negatives, and the two big issues that people seem to have had, the slowness and the soft scans of 35mm fiilm, didn't worry me too much.

I got it today, set it up, and installed Silverfast SE, which came with it, as well as the ScanMaker software from Microtek.

Here's the problem I'm having. There is a band of lighter tone running through the scans about two to three inches wide. See attached images.

Also, when the light head in the lid moves back to it's starting position after finishing the scan, there is an audible 'thunk' when it returns to the end. Is this normal? I find it hard to believe it is, but before I go through the unquestionable hassle of trying to get Microtek to send me another one, I want to be sure that it is a mechanical problem, and not just a software problem.

The banding occurs when using both SilverFast SE and the proprietary ScanMaker software, so I have a nauseating feeling that I'm going to have to go through their customer service department.

Any suggestions or observations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Paul

This is just a bare scan, converted to positive in Photoshop 7.0

This is the bare scan as a negative, but with the contrast increased slightly in PS

Re: Problem with Microtek i800

The first thing you want to do is make sure the calibration area is absolutely clean ... that could cause it.

Paul Cocklin

Ted, when you say 'calibration area', would you mind describing that? Treat me like the scanning moron that I am. Do you mean the little space in between the ruler that I place on the glass, opposite where the film goes?

Paul, it should be possible to get a very clean scan of a sheet film negative off the bed of the i800.

When you're scanning sheet film off the bed, the calibration area is the clear strip in the ruler, which needs to be placed against the end of the bed neared where the top is hinged. This is shown on page 8 of the instruction booklet titled "Scanning Guide - ScanMaker i800 Scanning Scenarios with ScanWizard Pro" and also on page 15 of the other booklet that comes with the scanner, "Supplement - ScanMaker i800 Features, scenarios and information".

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Oren is right. Even I, a person who couldn't care less about scanning film, has been able to get a decent scan with an i800. I have not had a wonderful experience with mine (as I say as often as the topic comes up) but it is possible to get a decent scan. I haven't had very good luck with the Microtek film holders, though. I scan on the flat bed using the "ruler".

p.s. I regret to inform you that there is no setting in the provided scanning software to correct that vignetting

Paul Cocklin

lol...thanks Brian.

Oren, thanks a lot for your input, as well and Ted. I guess I will try and clean the calibration area, though it's brand new and looks pretty clean to me.

I guess I was just wondering if one of the causes of this striping could be the light in the lid being at a different height due to some sort of mechanical problem.

Thanks again for the help, I'll try and clean it in the morning and rescan.

Paul

This issue could also be due to uneven scanning light., however I have not seen this wide a strip before. I had issues with much narrower density strips on my similar Microtek scanner and it required meticulously cleaning the light strips to get things even.

This banding is the result of the white plastic tape "behind" the ccd folding over the ccd slightly. The ccd is cradled in this tape longitudinally. That the band turns up with different software isolates it as a scanner-machine problem

My i900 was was 3 years old. The illumination emitted from the impeded portion is less, leading to the band. Oddly, the band has sharp borders. It is almost always in the middle of the image for some reason.

My i900 was crippled with this. Microtek is unable to fix this, and does not accurately respond to the problem. It has no repair department. Microtek wanted me to send it back for "an adjustment." I understand from other threads that they offer you approx. 10% off a new machine, which would be less than the cost of the courier!

Instead I did a self repair which was totally effective, and takes about 20 minutes.

I shall try to find the time to document and post this repair here in the next 48 hours. It is delicate but not hard to do.

Other than this, I like my i900, though it is noisy. I have turned off the machine when not in use since the CCD problem.
    Last edited by Bruce Batchelor; 30-Sep-2007 at 19:09. Reason: addition

Paul Cocklin

Bruce, I would be so grateful if you do post that repair. I've been dreading having to deal with Microtek on this.

Thanks so much.
    Paul