Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Handheld 4x5- Razzle and Speed Graphic

Re: Handheld 4x5- Razzle and Speed Graphic

Before anyone misses the point here the MOST important thing to remember is that a great photo firstly emanates from the photographer's eye, then secondly, from the skill and experience associated with knowledge of how to pull it off. The equipment used is the least deciding factor.

I'm not arguing about which camera is better or more suitable for the job, I don't think for a moment that a better shot is guaranteed as a direct result of the camera used.

I'm quite sure David could have achieved equally excellent results from a wooden box.....it's knowing how to manipulate the box that counts. I've said it before, a Fender Strat played upside down and loud still ain't gonna make me sound like Hendrix

Cheers.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

Retired Pirate

Personally I favour the wooden box. Nothing complicated, hardly any moving parts, weighs less than 2lbs, and no need to faff about changing lenses or focusing.

Angulon 90mm f6.8.

I too have had similar ideas that materialised into a camera or two not unlike yours.....metal, not wood and a little heavier perhaps
    Blimey I could stumble around in Wales forever........I am a Jones afterall

Thomas

I have done some handheld 4x5 with various cameras, black and white only. And I liked the results with all cameras. The details in a 4x5 negative can be just breathtaking, so no matter what camera you choose you will like what you get, compared to any small format or digital camera. I scan the negatives at 3200dpi, so I think of a handheld 4x5 as a 160 Megapixel camera.

Pros and cons of the various options I have tested:
    - Razzle Polaroid conversion: the easiest to work with for "snapshots" because of the combined rangefinder/viewfinder. My preferred option for street shooting.
    - Linhof IV: I find this the best compromise between a field camera and a handheld, so this is my preferred option on longer trips when I only want to bring along one camera (and you certainly attract a lot of attention when you use a Linhof with a 360mm Tele Xenar handheld ).
    - Super Graphic: Not mentioned in this thread yet but a serious contender. Not as easy to operate as a Linhof (I find) but much lighter. I like it better than a Speed Graphic, very light, something for a long hike or bicycle trip.
    - Speed Graphic: I like this one less than all the others but you will still get wonderful results.

Greetings, Thomas

I hope that no-one out there thinks I am trying to poo-poo any camera. I must admit that I use my Wisner Expedition and Speed Graphic close to 75% of the time, but when I am shooting people and events in an uncontrolled environment the Razzle is the way to go for me (I really like the WA set-ups that the Retired Pirate uses and Dean's obsessions too!).
    All the box cameras--Speed Graphics, Wistas, Toyos, Linhofs etc. have been the backbone of most of photography's short history for a good reason (I swear you could drive nails with a Linhof then turn around and shoot a pic!). I totally agree that the lens interchangeability and movements on these cameras makes them the best for all around use, but I cut my teeth on small, light 35mm cameras with fast prime lenses that made my life as a journalist easier (How big and wild would a f1.4 that covers 4x5 be; not to mention the 1mm of DOP?!--Dean, what do you think about a Schneider 135mm f3.5 Xenon on a 900?)--this is the idea that I continue to search for with LF. Even though changing lenses is quicker and easier on my Nikons (no cam to change), I still carry two or three cameras with different lenses rather than changing lenses to facilitate the spontaneity of journalism. Also, I still don't like using a separate rangefinder and viewfinder (my first Leica was a IIIf and I never liked it).

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Usher View Post
    I hope that no-one out there thinks I am trying to poo-poo any camera. I must admit that I use my Wisner Expedition and Speed Graphic close to 75% of the time, but when I am shooting people and events in an uncontrolled environment the Razzle is the way to go for me (I really like the WA set-ups that the Retired Pirate uses and Dean's obsessions too!).
    -snip-

I am really tempted to show the above quote to my wife and say "see honey, this is why I need *another* 4x5 camera, in addition to the 4 I already have"

But for some strange reason, I just don't think she'll go for it. Something or another about money for groceries, the kid's teeth, stuff like that.

However, do go on about how great the Razzle is, I just might convince myself yet.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

What the #@^#$ is a razzle?

Using the search function on the Cameras and Camera Accessories category will yield instant #@^#$ results...

I often use a Super Graphic handheld, however it is slightly customized, with a different view finder and much lighter with all the electric stuff removed. (battery, capacitors, solenoid,etc.) The range finder works great and I have cams for all my lenses. I still am intrigued with the Razzle and one day, if I'm lucky, I may even own one.....

I have Speed and Crown Graphics in every size from 2X3 to 5X7. A lot of them. Busch Pressmans, a few. Field cameras, crime scene (Rex Labs) cameras, monorail cameras, ad nauseum. All take fine photos. It's just a question of what you like, what fills the requirements at hand and, most importantly, how you use it. For a carrying around, hand held 4X5, I'll take a Crown Graphic any day, and save the money for more film.