Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D with Pentacon Globica II ?

Re: Canon 5D with Pentacon Globica II ?

I can focus only when is Globica in this position and the adapter is inside.

Not quite sharp - I hold 5D in my hands inside the Globica. Only in this position is the image at least recognizable.

Your choice of lens and view-camera body does not allow you to focus. A longer focal length lens would easily allow you to focus. What you can do easily is to use a recessed lens board. Quite common for wide-angle lenses on view cameras. This "recessed" lensboard places the lens deeper into the front of the camera. Most people that shoot with ultra-wide-angle (on 4x5) lenses with monorail or field cameras at some time need a recessed lens board.

Thanks fot the tip. I thought that 210 are long lens. But I dont know where should I get recessed lens board for Globica. I guess I will make this board but I dont know how deep should I go wit the lens. And I never had problem with focus when I used planfilm. Well I thought about it unbuild the lens and it will be easy to recess the lens. But I dont know how much should I recess the lens.

Yes your lens would be considered a "long"lens, but your particular view camera has very thick standards that do not allow you to have the lens standard very close to the ground glass.

Thanks again! Im going to recess the lens as much as possible so that I can acces to the shutter ring.

I recessed the lens and it works. It is still in development. Tomorrow I will I upgrade it specially the back. I ordered with the chinese adapter also angle finder I desperately need it.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
    I have to ask - to what advantage is using the adapter? Shooting the 5D, with a Canon lens, on a tripod will produce the same result. It will also be easier to use and probably sharper.
    I rebuild the lens and back. This is my first quick experiment with stitching. Focus without angle finder. Its not so sharp like canon lens but it has nearly 50 cm wide!

Here is it in full size.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?f3ttd1helmw

By having a sliding back, and shooting multiple-shots and stitching them together you "can" approximate the look of a large format transparency, but it does seem to me that it would just be simpler to shoot a large-format transparency and then scan it. That is what I do. Of course I develop my own film, and I have a nice scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    By having a sliding back, and shooting multiple-shots and stitching them together you "can" approximate the look of a large format transparency, but it does seem to me that it would just be simpler to shoot a large-format transparency and then scan it. That is what I do. Of course I develop my own film, and I have a nice scanner.
    Gene,

What scanner do you use?

This stitch is going to be hard to beat. With the Canon 5D and low ISO there will be virtually no noise. AutoPano Pro or CS2 will stitch this in a minute or so. I do a lot of this and it's realtively easy.

The advantage is that for the traveling photographer, there's no chemical processing. For the inexperienced in film, it's a guaranteeed home run every time.

For things that move or changing light, film only in this size!!!

Asher

Im now experimenting with it as a macro machine in combination with Helicon Focus. For the stitching it is also very impressive - photos nearly 60x36 by 300 DPI big! I'm just angry with myself that I dind't started it to use earlier.