Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious onlookers - how do you handle them?

Re: Curious onlookers - how do you handle them?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    This redneck guy was driving by one of our shoots with his buddies and he made some rude comments....

So we were nice to him and he realized that he was being an asshole. He apologized all over himself and even bought us a six-pack.

Win-Win ;-)

See, yet another reason why I ought to be the Leader of the World or Secretary of State or something like that.
    That is a fabulous shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Earlier this year (end of Feb) while photographing Yosemite Falls, I had my photo taken...ended up being in the Fresno Bee newspaper -- and quoted in the paper concerning when the falls were going to peak. Fortunately I guessed right.

Ya never know...

Vaughn

Photo by Fresno Bee Staff Photographer

Me and my 8x10 (using the 28" element of a Turner Reich)
    So do we get to see the result of that shutter release?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Recently I was at Point Reyes National Seashore with the 8x10 and while on the beach a bus load of college students on a Biology field trip came down the beach. One of the Professors warned me that they were coming so I decided to educate them on the way the craft of photography is done. They were all amazed that it was upside down! They were all very nice and respectful. At one of the other beaches a family walked right into my shot and stayed for 15 minutes and then went right in front of the camera and stood there???!!! I think they were from another planet!!! I asked them if I could help them and they said nothing??!! Yes they spoke English!! At Muir Woods I ran into the owner of Photo backpacks. We had a great talk about camera bags and he was amazed to see someone out with an 8x10. For the life of me I have forgotten his name at the moment. Must be the family from Oklahoma that had never seen the water or a camera before casting a spell on me!!

Jim

I especially like when tourists come up to me, usually as I am either under the dark cloth or appearing quite busy shooting polaroids,etc, offer me their P&S and ask me to take their picture. Of course with the same shot that I have been waiting for the right light for the last 3 hours behind them. Of course this ALWAYS happens when the light is at it's best. In this scenario I will usually tell them,"sorry, but I'm in the middle of my work".

Often the local "shutterbug" will come by and ask me why I don't use a digital camera instead of that "old thing", or I'll be asked if it's a camera. Personally I don't like having an audience of strangers when I work. I prefer to have my camera bag open and am uncomfortable having all that gear on display, and having to keep one eye on it.

However every once in a while I do come across someone who is familiar with LF and is non intrusive and especially if there is down time can make for a good conversation.

This redneck guy was driving by one of our shoots with his buddies and he made some rude comments....

So we were nice to him and he realized that he was being an asshole. He apologized all over himself and even bought us a six-pack.

Win-Win ;-)

See, yet another reason why I ought to be the Leader of the World or Secretary of State or something like that.
    I really like your stuff. I wish that I could do that, but I suck at dealing with strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    I had my 8X10 Deardorff set up in Death Valley once a number of years ago. The darkcloth was not over the camera and the scene was bright enough that the ground glass image, which was in shadow, was quite vivid. A little boy said "look Mommy, a TV".
    LOL!!!!!

Win-Win ;-)

I hope the beer was cold.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Unless I have to move quickly to get the photo, I love to chat with interested people. I almost always offer to let them look at the GG, and always warn them that it will be upside down. It seems that many people find that disturbing.

I have never had a bad encounter with interested bystanders. The only bad encounter I have had was with another LF photographer! He did not do anything overt. He just refused to even respond to a group of other photographers who were already set up and ready to make some nice photos when the light was right. Maybe he was mad that one of us got the spot he wanted. That was the exception to the general rule that encounters I have had with other LF photographers have been great experiences. Lots of shop talk, trading of ideas, and just good conversation.
    Yup I'd have to agree. There's more of a problem of some LF'ers being a jerk to other LF'ers. I've unfortunately had a few distasteful run-ins with a rabid LF'er at Yosemite and in the Santa Cruz redwoods. Most ordinary folks I have met have been quite nice about the camera and what I'm doing. Unless there's a large group around me, I like to chat it up for a bit and get back to business.

I have found that my 8x10 will get me into places that I might not otherwise be allowed to shoot in/at. Most people are very curious as to what we are seeing under our dark cloths and I've come up with a very brief, easy to understand explanation for people that have questions about how LF field cameras work. I really like talking with people that show an interest and every time I have I can tell that they leave with a new respect for LF photography as a true art form and not just "a pretty picture". It's really a great chance for us to change peoples opinions and educate them, which in turn benefits us all. I've also had some great "conversations" with people that speak a different language than I do. ( I have learned, the hard way, to get my shot before I let them look at the GG)

There have also been two times that I KNOW my 8x10 has kept me from being physically compromised, and or harassed. Of course there are some places you just shouldn't go to no matter what you're shooting with.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I mean, if you do a search, this comes up on a regular basis. Why?
    Probably because it's something just about all of us encounter. I suppose you don't have to reply to every one of them if you don't want to :-) I didn't do a search, but I for one find comfort that others have the same situations I do, onlookers asking questions and what not.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I WISH I RAN INTO CURIOUS ONLOOKERS! This morning I was photographing a local historical landmark when someone drove up, parked a car right in front of my camera, and walked away without even looking back at me. Oh, and the parking lot was empty and there were approximately 149 other parking spaces she could have chosen. Fortunately I had already shot 3 sheets and could live without shooting a 4th. I'd welcome an interuption/enquiry from a curious onlooker!

• Take another LF photographer with you.
    • Enjoy visiting and making connections for a different trip or experience.
    • Let the other LF photographer work to get the shot.
    • Be happy.
    • Be nice to parents and their children. I was young once too.
    • Perhaps enjoy doing a portrait, or even make a friend.
    • If it just can't wait - ask them to wait a moment.
    • Have them invite you to a place that you couldn't visit without their help.
    • Enjoy the day - when the time is right, it will all work out.