Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious onlookers - how do you handle them?

Arrow Curious onlookers - how do you handle them?

Large format cameras are people magnets. Very much like a shined up Mustang or Packard. My small Tachihara always seems to attract 'em, perhaps a compliment to the folks who make Tachis.

When you get some curious onlookers watching you and asking about your view camera, how do you handle it? Do you stop to chat, and perhaps pass out a biz card? Or do you politely ask to be left alone?

Re: Curious onlookers - how do you handle them?

I usually ask them to hold on while I finish the shot, and then I usually let them look at the groundglass and tell them a little about large format photography. Sometimes I carry a small album of albumen prints in my bag for such encounters--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/2...tml#post361649

Make sure no one is looking, shoot 'em, then take their wallet.

Seriously though, most people will continue to let you work. I chat and continue on at the same time if I'm around people, which is rarely. I haven't thought about letting someone view the viewfinder, though that would be a nice thing to do for people that just don't know about the camera.
    Laurent

If the light is changing and I need to get set up, I politely explain my situation and get on with the set up.

If they are still around or I’m in no hurry I will chat with them. This often works to my advantage, because many times they are photographers with some local knowledge. Again if they are a photographer, they may also have some good tips on other places that may be on my destination list.

Steve

I quote my hourly rate for a LF introductory workshop.

What David said.

But my encounters are rare, mostly I photograph where people aren't.

Vaughn

I try to get them to pose for a portrait. If they don't want their picture taken, they walk away quickly.

Other then that, I enjoy the conversation 'cause I don't have the heart to shoot them. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I usually ask them to hold on while I finish the shot, and then I usually let them look at the groundglass and tell them a little about large format photography. Sometimes I carry a small album of albumen prints in my bag for such encounters--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/2...tml#post361649
    This is typically what I do. I handed out a LOT of business cards on the Hidden lake trail up in Glacier NP this year.

I love it when people want to chat. As a matter of fact it's one of the things that I love about the entire experience and if I miss something because of the moving light, well what difference does it really make in the grand scheme of things? A great way to interject humanity into your landscape photography is by being a human.

Having to explain yourself to others is a great way to keep your thoughts in order and you can meet some really interesting people along the way. Also I work mostly in a public park and I feel like I have a responsibility to the Park to be a good citizen. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Barall View Post
    I love it when people want to chat. As a matter of fact it's one of the things that I love about the entire experience and if I miss something because of the moving light, well what difference does it really make in the grand scheme of things? A great way to interject humanity into your landscape photography is by being a human.

Having to explain yourself to others is a great way to keep your thoughts in order and you can meet some really interesting people along the way. Also I work mostly in a public park and I feel like I have a responsibility to the Park to be a good citizen. Cheers.
    I'm with you on this Steve... and it's also good to promote large format photography to the next generation. Like David, I also allow them to look through the ground glass and, usually, I get the ooh's and ahh's from them and they go away intrigued by the large television screen.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!