Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Our old friend Chris Jordan

Re: Our old friend Chris Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    sure, join the straw man argument crowd and see if anyone's impressed.

your comment was about the impact of the work, which suggests something about the experience of looking at it. i wanted to ascertain if you actually had that experience. you've already answered.

I have no idea what the "straw man" arguement is in this case. I'm not anti-digital at all.

But with Jorge I think we can talk about "ad hominem" arguments.

What's up with that Jorge. Do unto others, dude.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
    I have no idea what the "straw man" arguement is in this case. I'm not anti-digital at all.
    "I see. Make it big enough and it's art. I need to look at that new epson 60 inch printer."

that's a straw man arguement. no one said anything about big=art.

my criticism was about judging the "impact" of something you haven't seen.

saying you've seen a body of large scale printed works based on web images is like saying you've seen a feature film based on clips posted on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
    But with Jorge I think we can talk about "ad hominem" arguments.

What's up with that Jorge. Do unto others, dude.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by claudiocambon View Post
    Chris donated all the profits from his book on Katrina to a non-profit, which is admirable.

His responsibilities as an individual consumer aside, it is his role as an artist to put forth issues that need to be discussed in new and compelling ways; that's what artists do. There is nothing facile about what he is doing at all, ie, as others have said, getting people to consider the problem in new ways.
    Sorry, as an artist it is his responsibility to present art, nothing more, nothing less. If he choses to present an activist point of view then what is he doing to back up his views?

All he is doing is to illustrate a problem and tell us "look how wasteful we are"...BFD.... this is not news to anybody.

I will be impressed when I see an interview that says "CJ not only makes us aware of a wasteful society but he is also a member/supporter of xxxxx which is an environmental xxxx...." Till then, he has found a good hook to attach to his art and generate interest so he can sell it. Great idea! my hat off to him for finding a way to exploit the issue, but as a message it is empty.

In the end it is no big deal, I found the illustrations clever and very well done. A perfect example of what good digital art can do. As a message it is trite, and after you get past the first couple of examples the novelty wears off, regardless of wether the images are big or small. Then again, this is just my opinion, an opinion that come from someone who actually does environmental work for free, I actually put my money where my mouth is.....

saying you've seen a body of large scale printed works based on web images is like saying you've seen a feature film based on clips posted on youtube.
    Well, putting someone down is much easier than creating something original, isn't it? That's probably why we have so many ad hominems here lately, mostly from the same set of characters.

But that's fine too, everybody's got to show what they're made of.

P.S. Come to think of it, that's why we have so many cala lillies, half domes and long gone church ruins too...

Quote Originally Posted by claudiocambon View Post
    Chris donated all the profits from his book on Katrina to a non-profit, which is admirable.
    I believe he donated the profits from the *prints* as well. How many here have done so for a whole body of work ? In light of that fact, I find the comments of those who question his motives without knowledge particularly distasteful.

"I see. Make it big enough and it's art. I need to look at that new epson 60 inch printer."

that's a straw man arguement. no one said anything about big=art.

my criticism was about judging the "impact" of something you haven't seen.

Or like watching a movie on television rather than the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by chris jordan View Post
    ........ As always, my work is meant to provoke; if I wanted to do work that didn't provoke, I'd be shooting B&W calla lilies. But then someone would be complaining that my work wasn't engaged in the contemporary world, eh?

~cj
    Nothing provokes me more than ANOTHER photo of B&W calla lilies. I like the new imagery but I think your older work, which was actual depictions of scenes of mass consumerism and waste might have held more power because of their basis in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Nothing provokes me more than ANOTHER photo of B&W calla lilies.
    Nothing INSPIRES me more than another GOOD photo of B&W calla lilies