Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How not to photograph Delicate Arch

How not to photograph Delicate Arch

I'm with Sergio - let's off all those people messing up our sight lines.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

BRAVO Michael!!

Just a quick reminder to people that what Fatali did, though unconscionable, is a violation of our aesthetic values, which rather pales in comparison with what is not only occurring but actually condoned on millions and millions of acres of public landscape every day. For example, livestock grazing on public lands does an astonishing amount of damage, much of it permanent (for example the extinction of native fish species due to stream trampling and the destruction of streamside vegetation), and all of it funded by the American taxpayer. There are other examples: logging and mining come to mind.

Those of us who are all sanctimonious about Fatali ought to engage in protection of all public landscapes, not just the pretty ones. (I'm not making any accusations here -- just being a bother.)

Well you succeeded in being a bother. No logical comparision between what Fatali has done and what the farmers, ranchers, miners lawfully do with land they either own or lease for the operation of their lawful business pursuits supporting their families and providing jobs. You cannot make a comparision between what is now lawful and a premeditated act of distruction like Fatalis. You could however work to change the current laws and put all these others out of business. Of course that would cause mass starvation and an economic collapse. Other than that a perfect solution for our perfect world.

Hi everyone, Just my 2 cents worth. I am an amateur large format photographer and have enjoyed several visits to the beautiful spots in our west. I have my techique down pretty well as well as my own vision. I photograph because I love to do so. If I don't always get a masterpiece or a keeper and that's OK. I think the episode in question is in keeping with the attitude I frequently come across back here in the East. "I can do anything I want as long as I don't get caught and besides I'm the only one on the road, in the park, on the planet etc." This is by no means restricted to photographers. Somewhere along the line many people seem never to have learned to respect the people or places around them. They don't get it- we are guests on this planet for limited period of time. We don't own the place. Let's all act like mature & responsible guests whose host would be delighted to welcome us for another visit. Eric Lohse

I wrote to _Frends of Arizona Highways_ to ask for information on the incident. This is what they sent to me. I have recieved permission from _Frends..._ to post the press release in the forum.

Jason: Barbara Kramer Hornor, Director for the Friends of Arizona Highways forwarded me your e-mail. I have attached the Press Release that Arizona Highways has released to the media hoping that this will address your questions and concerns. If you cannot open the attachment, please let me know and I can fax or mail you a hardcopy. However, if you have specific questions regarding the incident please address them to Win Holden, the publisher of Arizona Highways. Sincerely, Catherine Coughlin Arizona Highways (www.arizonahighways.com) Public Information Officer 2039 West Lewis Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85009 ccoughlin@dot.state.az.us 602-712-2020 ______________________________________________________________________

ATTACHMENT:

MEDIA ALERT * * * MEDIA ALERT * * * MEDIA ALERT * * * MEDIA ALERT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For further information contact: Arizona Highways Publisher, Win Holden Office: 602-712-2023

PHOENIX, ARIZ. (OCTOBER 23, 2000) - -

Michael Fatali, who is under investigation for setting fires that scarred an arch in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks near Moab, Utah, on September 18, has been suspended for one year from conducting photo workshops for the Friends of Arizona Highways, a nonprofit support group of the magazine.

In addition, said Arizona Highways Publisher Win Holden, Fatali's posters of slot canyons have been removed from the magazine's gift shop. "We are exceedingly disappointed in Fatali's completely careless action. Arizona Highways always has been a powerful voice for protection of the environment and preservation of our natural landscapes."

Fatali set the fires in small aluminum pans to light Delicate Arch during an unauthorized nighttime photo session while conducting a workshop sponsored by the Friends of Arizona Highways. The magazine itself was not involved in the workshops.

"This was a totally unsanctioned activity by Fatali," said Barbara Hornor, executive director of the Friends. "We obtained permits to go into the park to photograph as part of an 11-day photo workshop through northern Arizona and southern Utah national parks and other scenic locations. We did not know he planned on setting fires. The permits specifically prohibit the use of fires."

The Friends have conducted photo workshops in Arizona and surrounding areas for 16 years, Hornor said, and nothing like this has ever occurred. "We have always worked to promote appreciation of the environment, and this incident is offensive to us."

-30-

I have been very sad reading what happened to Michael and also seing how little sympathy he got from the photographic community through this test. From the little I knew about him, I co uld not think he had done this arm willfully. There is now a page of explanations on his website from which I p icked a few words and I invite each one to read the full story from his point de vue. Thanks. Paul

My view on the mishap at Delicate Arch by firelight

Dear Friends,

I know that many people hav e been disappointed and upset over what they have heard about the f ires set near Delicate Arch during the Friends of Arizona Highways photo-w orkshop on the evening of September 18, 2000. The state landmark of Delicate Arch is loved by many and I understand the natural inst inct for protecting this wonder.

I am extremely remorseful a bout the incident ever taking place. If I could turn back time I would have never conducted that evening photo session. In taking responsibility fo r my part of this mishap, I plan to make proposals of various solutions that w ill benefit the future of all public lands and thus bring resolution to all par ties involved. This whole incident quickly spiraled into a chaotic interpretati on of the facts. However, it's time to share what has happened and put the sp reading rumors to rest.

Please go to http://www.fatali.com/mishap.html

for the entire text.

Paul,

that url leads nowhere. And whatever Mike has to say on the subject pales in comparison to how he tried (in his explanation in another part of photo.net) to lay the cross on the Friends of Arizona Highways rep who held the permit for the class. Mike claimed that he did not see the permit, perhaps implying that he had Carte Blanche(!) in our national parks.

On another point, the incident has led admirers of his photography to wonder where else he has manipulated the light with fire, etc. They have specifically questioned the light source in photographs which include Ring of Fire [http://www.fatali.com/gallery/folio2/cv6.html ] and Flaming Arch [http://www.fatali.com/gallery/folio5/sc3.html ] I have gone to both places and know that Velvia is totally capable of giving the light found in those photographs without any augmentation whatsoever. You will find photos of the former at http://www.angelfire.com/nv/wongnumber/pict923.html which I took and of the latter at http://www.tonysgallery.com (taken by Tony Kuyper). Unfortunately for Fatali, few will anymore believe his claim of "only natural light" and "no filters" due to his lack of judgment at Delicate Arch. I don't think Mike did much artificial lighting before then, but he did have a rather clever darkroom magician for many images. Springdale gallery may still have a Fujix print on display, so there goes the "no digital" claim, too.

If Mike had used his photographic brain he would have remembered that the intensity of light from star trails would not have registered on a light meter. Now, comparing that to the light from a Duraflame log- -well, you get the picture. Star trails and Delicate Arch calls for several weak battery operated camp lanterns/gelled electr flash and some polaroids! Add that to his flagrant disregard for the "no fires outside of campground firepit" regulation and the OOPS gets bigger. Beyond what the Feds will charge him with, he has brought upon himself the disrespect of a great number of nature photographers as well as buyers of his art.

On the lighter side, perhaps Mike would accept as penance the task of altering every Utah license plate to match the damage done, irrespective of the speed of the vehicles bearing the plate?

The best thing about Delicate Arch is that you can actually walk right up to it, sit & stand under it, marvel at it upclose, & photograph it without any fence-like barriers around it. My fear is that Fatali's goofy action will be the catalyst for removing unfettered access to the arch, like what happened with Landscape Arch & other natural landmarks. Walking to a barrier-free Delicate Arch is always the highlight of any trip to Moab & I'll be really pissed if Fatali's folly ruins that experience for me & my family.

Well I see Mr. Fatali has made it to the cover of View Camera 3/4/01. No mention of this incident in the article....