Thread: PhotoPlus Expo, Javits Convention Center, Oct 18-20

PhotoPlus Expo, Javits Convention Center, Oct 18-20

Just checking to see who is planning on attending PhotoPlus at the Javits Convention Center, Oct 18-20. Maybe some of us would like to meet at the show.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Re: PhotoPlus Expo, Javits Convention Center, Oct 18-20

View Camera will be there. Dinner might be a possibility.

steve simmons

I will be arriving late Thursday night and staying through the weekend. Anyone who wishes to have me take a look at their portfolio, please pmail me at editor "at" magnachrom "dot" com.

Looking forward to my interview with the CEO of Hasselblad.

Cheers,

Just back from the Expo hall. Dropped in to say hello to Keith Canham (my favorite camera) and Steve Simmons (my favorite photo mag), who happened to be sharing a booth, along with Ries Tripods. Also made a point of having a few words with Harman Technologies (Ilford's "wet darkroom" film, papers, chemicals) and watched an interesting lith toning demo at Freestyle/Kentmere's booth. Also got to fondle a few medium-format cameras well outside my price-range. But overall, the show has become "less fun" as the industry has swung to digital, not because I'm opposed to digital, but you can't "play with" printers, scanners, and software as easily as one could play with "equipment" in the "old days." I'd love to hear how any others felt about the expo, what made an impression on them, etc.

I'm going Sat morning-- looking forward to it.

JT

I also spent a half day at Javits and would agree that there was a lot of digital and things to see but not touch from the big names in digital cameras and printers. Some software vendors had large set ups. Also, seemed to be a lot of digital book publishing vendors. I saw Ted Harris at the View Camera booth and also spent some time with Keith Canham who was kind enough to give me some personal lessons of folding my camera quicker. There were a number of camera, tripod, lighting, bags, and misc booths from both well known names and some that were new to me. I thought the crowd for the morning of the first day was good. There were lines at Kodak for getting a roll of free film, and at Epson who was giving out a packet of paper. There were the usual handouts, but not a lot of show specials. MPEX, Unique, Calumet were there and B&H had a shuttle running to their store. Overall, I am glad I was able to get there this year.