Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hc 110

hc 110

hello,
    just started shooting on 8x10 tri-x 320 and after years i will develop them myselve in hc 110.
    i don't see any times for 8x10 inch.
    does somebody have experience in trix 320 and hc 110?
    how long do you develop(in tray)

thank you verry much,
    maarten

Re: hc 110

Get the Film Test kit by Bruce Barlow http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com/. It will save you a lot of time and film and you will end up with negatives that are a joy to print.

The reason I subject this kit is you would be setting a developing time to the water and way you process the film. I have 3 times for HC110. One for the shallow well, one for the deep well, and one for Pennsylvania where I do a lot of work all 3 are different but the negatives all come out the same.

Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net
    www.finefocusworkshops.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Get the Film Test kit by Bruce Barlow http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com/. It will save you a lot of time and film and you will end up with negatives that are a joy to print.

The reason I subject this kit is you would be setting a developing time to the water and way you process the film. I have 3 times for HC110. One for the shallow well, one for the deep well, and one for Pennsylvania where I do a lot of work all 3 are different but the negatives all come out the same.

Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net
    www.finefocusworkshops.com
    That kit looks interesting. I've been struggling with consistancy myself, and because I work a full-time job, I don't have the time or inclination to run all of the Zone system tests.

By the way, I learned about your cameras from View Camera Magazine. I've been thinking about investing in one, but I have to save up the funds first.

--gary

I think the kit is a good idea, too. However, you seem to be asking for times specific to 8x10 - I think times for any of the sheet film sizes would be the same, so if you've located a time for 4x5, for instance, give that a try.
    juan

I don't have any times but maybe check the info at:
    http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I think the kit is a good idea, too. However, you seem to be asking for times specific to 8x10 - I think times for any of the sheet film sizes would be the same, so if you've located a time for 4x5, for instance, give that a try.
    juan
    Maybe, but why risk it? The tests in the kit Richard mentions take maybe a morning to do, with most of that time waiting for film or paper to dry. It calibrates exposure and development exactly for your materials, and is infinitely reusable. I recently used it to calibrate for Azo and amidol. It could be used to calibrate for platinum printing, too. I've used it with PMK, and it's actually better, and easier, than using a densitometer.

I think Ted Harris has me lined up to do a workshop at Ft. Collins next June on film testing. Maybe a little far away to be helpful right now. He's asking whether the workshop is a half- or full-day, including all lecture time and time for everyone to do their own. I haven't figured that out yet. I suspect a full day, but we'll do some other stuff, too.

I thought the kit was a good idea. Especially the reusable part, where you don't have to send negatives off to someone to read on a densitometer. With the kit, you can read them yourself and pick the right one. If you screw up, no worries - do it over. I tested three films in two sizes a couple years ago in one day. Fast, but I decided I hated testing.

All the testing stuff is in the "Finely Focused" CD-ROM book, too.

Enough self-promotion. Thanks for your indulgence.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

The time to run the test is well worth it. It takes about half an hour to set up and do the Zone I test. Developing of the film can be done in the evening its better them watching TV. Once the film is dry a day latter find the proper film speed and find proper proof time. When the film speed is known do the development time test. I too work a full time job but I do try to find any where from 15 minutes to an hour every other day to take at less one image even if it is Polaroid.

If you do have a time for 4 x 5 Tri X film it would be a good starting point for the 8 x 10 film. My time is slightly different for 8 x 10 as compared to 4 x 5 .

Lascassas, TN

I used the film test kit to tune my processing. It is a fairly quick and easy test. I changed both my E.I. and developing time as a result. Negatives print better with an improved range of tones.

One of the best values out there…………..
    Bill Kumpf

thank you all for your helpfull comments!
    i will give the kit a try
    gr
    maarten

If you're going to try the kit, I suggest getting Bruce's book-on-a-CD, which includes the kit. http://www.finefocusworkshops.com. It is a very useful book!