Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proposed New Rules for Photography on U.S. Public Lands

Re: Proposed New Rules for Photography on U.S. Public Lands

Tim,

I see your point, I think - and tell me if I have it wrong - that what should need permitting would be, essentially, only work at a scale big enouth to be disruptive to the ordinary functions of a public land...

So that the rest of us with our gear could hopefully work unmolested.

If I get you right, I agree with you happily. I couldn't see the clarity of the wording I saw before - since "commercial" can be misconstrued easily.

Best,

C

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    Tim,

I see your point, I think - and tell me if I have it wrong - that what should need permitting would be, essentially, only work at a scale big enouth to be disruptive to the ordinary functions of a public land...

So that the rest of us with our gear could hopefully work unmolested.

If I get you right, I agree with you happily. I couldn't see the clarity of the wording I saw before - since "commercial" can be misconstrued easily.

Best,

C
    Yep that's basically it. That's what Congress decided, and that's what these regulations are now trying to comply with (the other thing being that some departments have tried for the narrowest interpretation of the law while some have gone for the broadest possible interpretation...)

"commercial" in the regulations is one of the fuzzy areas I mentioned. The problem is they are trying to define and set out a narrower category of commercial photography which happens to be restricted.

The difficulty is that in practice the first thing Ranger Smokey (especially if they are summer intern Ranger Smokey or whatever) reads in the regulations is "commercial" and doesn't necessarily bother to take in the nuance of the rest of it.

But they are kind of stuck using that word and then trying to narrow down what they are actually defining
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim has it absolutely correct. What's legal or not is determined by an act of Congress rather than by local resource managers. The authority of an executive agency (e.g., the NPS) to issue rules is limited to that delegated by Congress; in this case, Congress have significantly restricted the authority to require permits for still photography on public lands. The proposed rule is the attempt by the BLM, FWS, and NPS to implement Public Law 106-206, and as Tim mentions, any rule must comply with that law. Because the intent, per se, to sell photographs is irrelevant under that law, so must it be in the rule.

A brief bit of additional history. Historically, fees for filming in National Parks were limited to cost recovery. Public Law 106-206 was the culmination of efforts in the late 1990s to eliminate this limitation and allow the NPS to charge location fees, in attempt to provide additional revenue for the Park Service. Eventually, the legislation was expanded to cover all lands under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Agriculture (e.g., Forest Service) and the Secretary of the Interior (e.g., BLM, FWS, and NPS). As usual, still photography got swept into the scheme as an afterthought, and as originally written, the legislation would have required a permit for any photography that was intended for sale. As a result of efforts by ASMP and NANPA, the current provisions for still photography were added; the intent was to incorporate the NPS policy governed by 36 CFR 5.5(b) (which is the primary source of the definition I suggest for commercial photography).

In retrospect, the wording of Public Law 106-206 is not as precise as it might have been; in particular, the meaning of "models" and "props" may be open to varying interpretations, especially because the law does not appear to require a permit for photography of "articles of commerce" (e.g., vehicles) for commercial advertising. It was not the intent of the legislation to eliminate these requirements, and common sense suggests that no federal agency would allow such photography without a permit. The terms model and prop are sufficiently ambiguous that so far, two agencies (the FS and the BLM) have felt it necessary to include definitions in directives to agency personnel; links to these definitions are included in my article under the entries for the BLM and the FS. There are two significant problems with such definitions: as parts of internal agency directives, they don't have the force of law as does an administrative rule; perhaps more important, the definitions are uncommon ones that did not exist until three years after Public Law 106-206 was enacted, so it is difficult to argue that they represent the legislative intent. Yet the law would seem almost impossible to enforce without them.

A glance at the definitions shows that both agencies tie them to commercial advertising. With that constraint, the combination of those definitions and the wording of the proposed rule works to essentially to the same effect as the definition I suggest for commercial photography; the difference is that putting it into one definition is far more clear and concise. Again, my definition is simply derivative of the rule that has long proven workable in National Parks (even if a few folks aren't up to speed on it). I'm really suggesting no more than that we ensure that the workable status quo continues.

Ostensibly, I'm suggesting a few words that don't appear in the governing statutory law, but without the clarifying definitions, the law may not be enforceable. In light of the only definitions proposed this far, I really see no conflict between that law and my definition. Is it better to say up front when permits actually will be required or play games with definitions?

I agree with Scott that it's impossible to have a rule that covers all bases. As Tim suggests, the definition of commercial photography that I suggest certainly isn't perfect; however, I think it has far fewer loopholes than the current wording of the proposed rule.

In retrospect, I would slightly revise the suggested definition, to the effect of,

Commercial photography means the recording of a still image on film, electronic, magnetic, or similar media for the purpose of commercial advertising and using articles of commerce, models, or props or sets that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities.

It's a bit less concise, but it's more deferential to the language of Public Law 106-206 and the proposed rule. To me, it seems essentially the same in effect.
    Last edited by Jeff Conrad; 19-Sep-2007 at 18:46. Reason: Fix typo