Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Photography?

Re: The Future of Photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    I am not going to argue with you. You are whistling past the graveyard if you think that support for silver-based photography has not seriously declined and will continue to do so. Ok, I won't say "we all know that ..." I will say "everyone except Steve knows that ..."

I hope that eventually this slide will level out and we will be left with a smaller but committed number of firms servicing us. I am doing my best to support those still in the game.
    If you are not going to argue, then what exactly are you doing? Do you not understand what you are writing?

We agree that support has declined, so why do you still labour that point? The issue is about the future.

Perhaps you should add a few others to your list everyone except... Such as the marketing director of Ilford, who is on record as saying :"Over recent times, the demand and usage of both digital and film-based imaging have settled into more discernable levels, with film very much holding its own." and he "sees a very positive future for the traditional medium".

I would consider his thoughts on the future of film-based photography worth listnening to, as opposed to your opinion, for which you claim of universal support is without foundation.

Steve

For example, a couple of years ago Ilford had problems, and this was supossedly because of the immenent death of conventional photography. But nothing could be further than the truth. Since the management buyout, Ilford are doing business like they have never done before, and they will be around for a long time to come.
    Not according to the ilford reps in the city where their factory is based. According to one I spoke to the company is hanging on by its fingertips from the income generated by hobbyists and a shrinking amount of colleges. They are still waiting to see if the management buyout will work and are not hugely optimistic...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    I agree film sales have dropped for the commercial and wedding mkts. But I don't see film sales dropping in the large format market for landscape photography.
    That's just the thing. Consider the relative sizes of those two markets. A hundred to one? A thousand to one? The reason this can become an issue is that film is made in huge production facilities that require huge volume to be profitable. To make film for a much smaller niche market will require more than just making less. It will require a whole different manufacturing style (which may even mean different companies making it).

I don't know for sure, but I suspect film manufacture is a lot more complex and difficult than paper manufacture. It would be great if small enthusiast-driven companies could make something like tmax or portra, but at this point we don't know if that will happen.

I've done that kind of thing before. It can be fun. On the other hand, I would much rather spend my time shooting or doing enjoyable digital work than assembling multiple exposures.
    -Chris

The future of photography? I do believe that both film and digital are important.
    It is still important for good photographers to know and understand film, if not for image quality, then for the benefit of the photographer’s shooting habits. Using film – especially for beginners - will help teach how to control aperture, shutter speed, composition and light. As the digital age continues to evolve, the future of photography will also change. Whether it is for better or worse is the argument – one where an answer remains to be seen.

I see this thread has sunk into a digital vs. film issue, so I might as well offer my 2-cents:

Digital offers instant gratification, which in my view isn't gratification at all. Nothing that is instant, including coffee, mashed potatoes, or micro wave popcorn is I find, especially rewarding. Efficient, maybe, but nowhere near enjoyable.

Digital also offers seemingly unlimited control that has before been unkown---I kind of feel that Ansel Adams would be into digital if he were still with us. Certainly this is a blessing for advertising and other genres, but the limitations of conventional film and lf cameras is a greater boost to my creativity---like the cyclone fence around a playground, it allows me to focus on the game rather than having to chase the ball into the busy street, just as going out with one lens and three film holders (or a brownie 127) creates a situation that demands that I focus on just what the heck it is I'm trying to do. Not so with digital (or long roll motor driven Nikons either!) It isn't a matter of enjoying potentially unlimited creativity but rather the employment of creativity unrestricted by software and employing only the crudest of antique hardware. I'm not certain, but I'll hazard to guess that such is the market film manufacturers will be addressing once 35mm has been completely unseated as the family snapshot workhorse the world over (if it hasn't already.)

In other words:
    FIlm cameras are fly rods, digital cameras are spincasting
    Film is single malt, memory cards are blended
    Large Format is a waffle from the waffle iron, digital is Eggo from the freezer.

Spincasting, Johnny Walker, and Eggos are far and away more popular, even to the point of eclipsing all the competition, but even so...
    There is still a market for fly rods, Glenfarclas and waffle irons.

I think it is safe to say there will still be a market for film

There isn't anything wrong with digital and I won't argue that it isn't currently the major player in imaging. It just isn't the same thing as film based photography---at least from a user standpoint.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    In other words:
    FIlm cameras are fly rods, digital cameras are spincasting
    Interesting annology John, not all fly rods are a Sage and some spincasters use St Croix Legend's w/ Lew's Speed Spin reels .
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

The f64 vs. Pictorialism exhibition at the Phoenix Art Museum last night drew a huge croud for the lecture. At least 75 + for the lecture easily more than several hundred to see the work. Wide demographics, young and old. Lot's of interest. Obviously all film based photography.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_6029 View Post
    The f64 vs. Pictorialism exhibition at the Phoenix Art Museum last night drew a huge croud for the lecture.
    Who won? I'm hoping it was a knockout in the first round for Pictorialism
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    Who won? I'm hoping it was a knockout in the first round for Pictorialism
    does anyone on the board do claymation? this would be a good subject for Celebrity Deathmatch.