Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Efke 8x10 : QC still a problem?

Re: Efke 8x10 : QC still a problem?

I had a cross-country trip *-up by lot #510617, exp 01/2009. Coating chatter, and a consistent defect either, didn't catch it with my usual testing of the top and bottom sheet of each box. Just be careful. Nothing like 4 weeks of shooting down the tubes!

I shot Efke a couple of years ago in 4x5 and had no problems. With the possible closing of Ilford I stocked up on HP5 and FP4 and had not used Efke since. Recently Donald Miller has been posting some great images on APUG from a recent trip to Italy, shot on 5x7 Efke, processed in pyrocat HD. So with my Ilford supply running low, I am tempted to dip my toe back into the efke waters. I think I will buy a couple of boxes of 4x5 and if there are no problems get a box for 11x14.

If forest Gump was a photographer he may have said “life is like a box of Efke, you never know what you’re going to get!” I am new to this forum but not new to Efke or Adox in all sizes. I have found the look, feel, flexibility and coast of these films to be a plus but do not like the consistency. Some sheet's in a signal box of PL100 shoot at an ASA of 100 while others seem to need a rating of 64. I recently went back to shooting TMY-400 which is to me one of the best films around for shooting 8x10. Freestyle recently jacked up the price of Efke making TMY-400 only around $25.00 dollars more for a 50 sheet box of 8x10.

Jason Miguel Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Miguel View Post
    I recently went back to shooting TMY-400 which is to me one of the best films around for shooting 8x10. Freestyle recently jacked up the price of Efke making TMY-400 only around $25.00 dollars more for a 50 sheet box of 8x10.

Jason Miguel Russell
    B&H is cheaper than Freestyle for Kodak 8x10 film
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    And when Kodak improves the grains structure to match a 200 speed film while maintaining it 400 ASA very soon, it could even get better.
    Perhaps this explains why Badger couldn't deliver my entire 8x10 TMY order. I ordered 5 boxes. After 3 weeks 2 boxes arrived with a note that the rest is back ordered. It has now been a month since the original order!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Perhaps this explains why Badger couldn't deliver my entire 8x10 TMY order. I ordered 5 boxes. After 3 weeks 2 boxes arrived with a note that the rest is back ordered. It has now been a month since the original order!!
    Don't think that is the problem. The test roll film has not yet been delivered. Should be coming down the pike shortly.

Once the test results have been tabulated a decision will be made as to how to proceed forward from this point. Kodak has several ways it could proceed. If the results are not favorable - scrap the whole enchilada. If it is favorable offer the improved emulsion to roll film users only and keep the original TMY sheet film TMY as it currently is. Offer sheet film users the option for both formulations as I believe is the case with Tri X. Or any combination thereof....

Since Kodak is continuing to produce TMY at consistent production rates, the fact that it is on back order can only mean that it is selling. That is a very good thing. I am scheduled to talk with Kodak and will find outwhat is going on and I will report back on what I find out.

Cheers!

Michael,

I too, took the backordered issue as a positive. Any info on TMY ULF? I look forward to your findings.

Thanks

Michael,

I too, took the backordered issue as a positive. Any info on TMY ULF? I look forward to your findings.

Thanks
    The last few details to resolve the TMY deal are taking longer than I thought but I work on it every day and will continue to do so until the contract is signed and we can make the formal announcement. Replacing J&C is the easy part because John was his own worse enemy. That said things have a way of working out for the better given enough time.

Onward!

You may have been on to something John. Spoke to Kodak this afternoon and by George the backorder may be associated with physical changing the emulsion to the new and improved T Max 400 with the vastly improved grain structure. I am expecting that Kodak will make an announcement shortly.

Cheers!

Why do you not try to use FOMA-film.... you can properly get this film form FOMA in US or from http://www.banse-grohmann.de/fotogra.htm . Ask for mr. Grohmann....