Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a photographer not a terrorist

I'm a photographer not a terrorist

Maybe Cyrus could do with one of these...

http://www.photoattorney.com/2007/09...statement.html

(though knowing the way it goes in most of these encounters -

Cop/Jobsworth [putting down donut]; "huh - it says there you're a terrorist"

Photographer; "no, it says I'm not a terrorist"

Cop/Jobsworth [takes another bite of donut]; er - so, you say you're a terrorist?"

Photographer; "no, I'm saying I'm not"

Cop/Jobsworth [slurps coffee from 711 cup]; "well, that's not what your shirt says - assume the position buddy. Oh and give me your memory card'

Photographer; "um - it's a large format camera - it doesn't have a memory card"

Cop/Jobsworth [scratches ass]; "ha - and you were trying to get me to believe you're a photographer" )
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: I'm a photographer not a terrorist

Maybe we all can use it, because we're all threatened!

I've gotten e-mail from the guy (Insomniac Studios) to consider the t-shirt after my two encounters this year with WA State Ferry (WSF) and WA State Patrol (WSP) folks photographing on a ferry which I have done many trips before, even with WSF staff talking and joking with me. The encounters with authority, although an interesting experience, was questionable in light of the two who did engage in suspicious" activities (WSP and FBI still looking for them). I haven't gotten any followup from the agencies about the conflict between the law and civil liberties and the State Ferry system's interest to thwart suspicious people.

After some research I found there are no laws prohibiting photography on ferries (Revised Code of Washington), which raises the question if they could even arrest me and for what, nor any administrative regulations of the WSF or WSP. WSF even enourages photography on ferries (their Website), asking them to send in their images. What they don't say is that they only touristy ones.

I've contacted the WSF, WSP and recently the Governor's Office about this because I've posted six galleries of photos including images of what the WSP detained me for. It's funny that the authories don't have a problem with my photography but passengers and WSF employees are the ones reporting me. It's a go figure.

In the end, I realize this is a non-event, but I kid folks I wonder what the WSF folks would do if I setup the 4x5 on the deck of the ferry. It depends on where I set up and point it (car or passenger deck), but would it be considered "unusual" photography they want passengers to report? Especially under the dark cloth? And would they understand it's not digital?
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

That tee shirt is filthy. Do they come that way or would I have to get the dirt on it myself?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

jetcode

and yet another angle on the same story ...

cop[with a mild smirk]; "that's quite a shiner you have"

photographer[obviously in pain]; "are you going to take the report?"

cop; "yes but I do have a question"

photographer; "what's that?"

cop; "how come you folks don't mind your own business and leave people and their property alone?"

photographer; "we have the right to photograph anything on public property"

cop; "so it's ok to stalk someone and bully your way into their lives?"

photographer; "it's my job, I get paid well, and the newsstands continue to pump the trash I shoot every week"

cop; "well then I guess it's to be expected to get decked every once in a while when you get in someones face and they don't like it"

photographer[nursing bruised eye and trashed equipment]; "I'm well within my rights"

cop[grinning]; "right, will you be needing an ambulance?"

Could I get a shirt like this guy's sign that says "I'm here on a research grant from Al-Qaeda"?

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post

cop; "how come you folks don't mind your own business and leave people and their property alone?"

photographer; "it's my job, I get paid well, and the newsstands continue to pump the trash I shoot every week"

cop; "well then I guess it's to be expected to get decked every once in a while when you get in someones face and they don't like it"

photographer[nursing bruised eye and trashed equipment]; "I'm well within my rights"

Nice troll...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Nice troll...
    hardly a troll,

My dad was a cop and never did donuts, nor was he the ignorant one as portrayed in the OP, no in fact his job was to find out who was picking up the young girls at the local skating rink and killing them amongst all the other sordid activities a sheriff encounters, from gang warfare to abused children, and as far as paparazzi they are a real menace to a LOT of people.

so yeah troll what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Nice troll...
    Odd that dissenting opinions are labeled "trolls" around here. Al-Qaeda is making incredible progress after all.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post

Cop gets back into his cruiser and goes back to reading his copy of US Weekly...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog