Thread: 8x10 colour film

8x10 colour film

I bought a box of Portra 400 NC last year on a whim - it was short-dated, I figured what the hell. I finally got around to shooting a pair of sheets from the box of 10 and WOW I love it. I have not got contacts made yet because I can't do colour in my darkroom, but even looking at the less-than-perfect scans, it is gorgeous stuff. A friend showed me some 8x10 colour contacts he did a while back and I loved them.

So now I want to get MORE. I asked Vistek for a price on a box of 8x10 Portra and they quoted $125. Well, I thought, ok, that's not horrible for 25 sheets. I almost fell on my arse when he told me it was for a box of 10. B&H is at least 40 bucks cheaper but then there is exchange (not much these days however), shipping to Canada, tax, and maybe duty (?).

I feel like the guy who got a hit of crack for free and is now wired.

Is there any less expensive 8x10 colour neg out there?

Anyone got any spare change?

Re: 8x10 colour film

I forget if Freestyle is a few dollar less or more. The Fuji was cheaper but still not a lot cheaper.

No duty but if all you're ordering from B&H is a 10 sheet box of film you'll pay $20+ for shipping. So it only makes sense if you pad the order out. You'll pay tax with Vistek to so that's a wash.

Oh you might want to check with Badger. They have some other shipping options to Canada so if all you need is film it might be better.

The only manufacturers making Large Format color negative film are Fuji and Kodak. In both cases their prices seem to be fairly steady between retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    The only manufacturers making Large Format color negative film are Fuji and Kodak. In both cases their prices seem to be fairly steady between retailers.
    Gene, this is what I am finding out. I also checked and there is no duty on American-made film imported to Canada. I think if I buy Fuji from the US, I have to pay duty. I will have to pay both federal and provincial tax, however. Portra 160 NC is $73.95 from Badger which for me will wind up at about $83.50 without shipping.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    Gene, this is what I am finding out. I also checked and there is no duty on American-made film imported to Canada. I think if I buy Fuji from the US, I have to pay duty. I will have to pay both federal and provincial tax, however. Portra 160 NC is $73.95 from Badger which for me will wind up at about $83.50 without shipping.
    order up - wince once when the bill is paid - shoot it like the gold it is - relish the treasure