Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 90mm/4.5 Grandagon-N and Filters

90mm/4.5 Grandagon-N and Filters

I'm hoping to get some feedback from users of this optic. Can an 82mm filter be mounted without the risk of vignetting or making contact with the front element? Or do I need to use a SUR or 82/82 spacer. I'll be receiving the lens in a few weeks time so want to get my filters lined up.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Re: 90mm/4.5 Grandagon-N and Filters

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    I'm hoping to get some feedback from users of this optic. Can an 82mm filter be mounted without the risk of vignetting or making contact with the front element? Or do I need to use a SUR or 82/82 spacer. I'll be receiving the lens in a few weeks time so want to get my filters lined up.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    I have a Kasemann Lee Polarizer on mine from time to time and I haven't had any problems.

I have not had any problems using 82mm filters on my 90 mm 4.5 grandagon. Never had any viignetting using it on my 4x5. It does not touch the front element either so no spacer is needed (unlike the110 schneider )

Thank-you gentlemen. I will go ahead and order a B+W 81B MRC and Singh-Ray warm tone polarizer then in an 82mm thread. As an aside, are you satisified with the optimcal performance of this lens? I was headed for an 80XL, but this 90/4.5 was available at such a good price I just could not pass it up.

Thank-you gentlemen. I will go ahead and order a B+W 81B MRC and Singh-Ray warm tone polarizer then in an 82mm thread. As an aside, are you satisified with the optimcal performance of this lens? I was headed for an 80XL, but this 90/4.5 was available at such a good price I just could not pass it up.
    The only thing that I don't like is the 82mm filter thread, it made the Kaesemann polarizing filter that much more expensive.

Optically, I'm quite pleased - although I am not typically one to notice subtle differences in how certain lenses will render color. I have so many things to worry about screwing up already, that I can't possibly take that into account right now.

As an aside, are you satisified with the optimcal performance of this lens?
    Jeff,

This is one of my favorite lenses on any camera system that I have owned! I think you will be able to see on the ground glass how good this lens is. I love it! (Second favorite would by my 65mm for the Mamiya 7, those are very well regarded lenses.)

Were you able to get it at the price we discussed?

Best,
    Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, Aboud honored the original selling price since I sent him a PM just before he upped the asking price after comparing to Lens and Repro's asking price for the same optic nowhere near the condition of this one. I owe you big time for sending me the link. I checked out Aboud and he had 100% positive feedback on ebay and PNet. I also called him and we chatted for about an hour, real friendly guy.

Nice to know how it compares to the Mamiya 7/65mm combo, my favorite camera for B&W street photography. My 135 APO Sironar-S also compares favorably to the 65/4L Mamiya (which means the 90/4.5 must be a stellar performer), and I can never say enough about the performance of the Sironar-S series of lenses (I have the 135, 210, and 300mm. I give the edge to the 300mm, it just nudges out the 135 and 210, but you need to loupe the chromes at 10x magnification to see it).

Thanks again Michael. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Regards,
    Jeff

Ben/Arthur, just out of curiosity, do your lenses have the green stripe? And if so, does it say "Multicoating" or "MC" anywhere on the barrel?

Good luck Jeff! Give us an update when it arrives and yiu have a chance to test it. At least the GG will be nice and bright. ;>)

Best,
    Michael

Michael,

Lens recieved and is both optically and cosmetically perfect. I cannot tell it from new. This puppy is razor sharp, centre to edge. It compared favorably to my 135 APO Sironar-S, which surprised me being one of the sharpest optics in my stable.

Cheers,
    Jeff