Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Digital Silver Gelatin has arrived...

Re: Digital Silver Gelatin has arrived...

I'm referring to the Harman Inkjet Gloss FB AL

(yes, I'm using Epson K3 inks) Some I've sprayed with Print Shield to remove differential, some I just left.

But just from them laying around mixed with other prints and papers, several are now showing micro scratches.

and it just takes a corner of one print to rub across another to scratch the surface, never mind a finger nail. The Crane, by comparison, seems as tough as old boots

I also did the postcard test with this and sent it through the mail (I frequently do inkjet promo postcards). It didn't fare very well. By comparison the Crane Silver Rag came through just fine
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    I'm referring to the Harman Inkjet Gloss FB AL
    Yep, me too and no issues yet. Weird.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Humidity?

So I did a little experiment and Tim, you are correct... Not that I normally treat prints this fashion, but I took my prints out of the portfolio case and dropped them in an empty paper box with no interleaving, sat it sideways in the car and drove around like that for two days. The jostling of paper against box did impart some fine scratches in the surface of the print, that while not obvious can be seen by holding the print at an extreme angle.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    So I did a little experiment and Tim, you are correct... Not that I normally treat prints this fashion, but I took my prints out of the portfolio case and dropped them in an empty paper box with no interleaving, sat it sideways in the car and drove around like that for two days. The jostling of paper against box did impart some fine scratches in the surface of the print, that while not obvious can be seen by holding the print at an extreme angle.

Cheers,
    Hi Jack,

I usually treat my prints fairly carefully, but most of these were "just" test prints, playing around with different settings etc. So they tended to sit around on my desk and get handled a bit less carefully.

The main thing being that other similar papers - especially the Silver Rag, which I use a lot, seem quite a bit tougher in this aspect
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I am going to test this new ink jet paper and compare it to the Harmon Fibre Paper that I am printing on my Lambda.
    I will post on this thread some observations of the two media.
    I have just been so damm busy lately, but we are putting an 7600 right beside the lambda to start comparing files on inkjet to wet prints from files as we work daily with clients permission of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I am going to test this new ink jet paper and compare it to the Harmon Fibre Paper that I am printing on my Lambda.
    Bob's work, as many of you know, is second to none. If you get a chance to see this stuff in person - the Lambda prints that is - you will be blown away.

Regards, Art.

Doug Dolde

Jack, It's Harman not Harmon...says so right on the box. I just made a few test prints and while I can say it is heads and shoulders better than Crane Museo Silver Rag, I am getting a little gloss differential on one particular image. This is printing in color not black and white on an Epson 3800.

I think the new Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta will be interesting to try as well.

Doug Dolde

Funny but after 4 or 5 hours drying the gloss differential or whatever it was seems to have disappeared.

Still having issues getting the 24" rolls of this stuff but picked up a box of Super B and letter and am having a field day! Printed some b/w images taken on my way to the LF Conference this summer and I must say I'm quite impressed. AND I don't have to throw them in a mounting press to flatten them! BONUS!