Thread: When did lenses become multi-coated?

When did lenses become multi-coated?

I was looking at a 90mm f8 Super Angulon on Ebay recently, and the owner said he got it about 18 years ago, and so he assumed it was multi-coated, but he wasn't sure from the lens designation (I didn't ask him about the lens hue). Does Schneider, or any other lens manufacturer, have a start list on their serial numbers when they started multi-coating? Thanks in advance!

Claudio

Re: When did lenses become multi-coated?

As far as I know, Schneider lenses should have "MC" or "Multicoated" spelled out on the lens, next to the model.

"The first Symmar-S lens to be multi-coated was the Symmar-S 150mm, serial number 13,014,862 in March 1977. The 210mm followed and then the rest of the focal lengths were completed by early 1978. The Super-Angulons were multi-coated in the summer of 1978 beginning with the f/5.6 series. The f/8 lenses were multi-coated in late '78- early '79. Apo-Componon HM lenses have been multi-coated since their introduction in 1986."
    From: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...ography.htm#q8

Weren't Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. hawking their multi-coated lenses much earlier? I seem to remember coatings on 35mm camera lenses from late 60's.

(Hard to be sure, though. A lot of what I remember from the late 60's never really happened.)

Canon had single coated lenses in the 60's, but I think they began multicoating in the mid-70's. Canon's designation "SC" is for single, "SSC" for multi...

I have a Caltar-rebadged SA 90/8, and it does indeed have "MC" on the barrel.

Military lenses were multi-coated long before it became practical to do it (and shill it) for commercial lenses. The first hint that i recall wasn't actually flogged as "multi-coating" but the Noct Nikkor 58mm f1.2 was said to appear black due to special coating.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gentile View Post
    Weren't Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. hawking their multi-coated lenses much earlier? I seem to remember coatings on 35mm camera lenses from late 60's.

(Hard to be sure, though. A lot of what I remember from the late 60's never really happened.)
    I remember it that way too. I recall also the owner of the photoshop I worked for in Charleston, SC. suggesting that "multi-coating was just a cheap way to correct lenses, otherwise they'd be doing it with large format".
    Last edited by Greg Lockrey; 5-Sep-2007 at 23:58.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.