Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correct tripod kit for my Tachi 4x5?

Re: Correct tripod kit for my Tachi 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by TenOx View Post
    Have that tripod, 2530LVL, looking for a good ballhead that doesn't break the bank. Thinking about the Markins M-10. The tripod is rigid and seems to dampen vibrations well, very impressed after seeing results of time exposures. It does seem awkward to setup at first, with the unusual side-mounted column. But after a while, it still seems a bit strange, but gets more usable with practice. The odd column does offer advantages in tabletop and macro, and the design seems like it can be tapped for other uses as well.

/..

I have the Markins Q3 and consider it one of the finest ball mounts made. The M10 is a nice piece of work and great value. For whatever reason they tend to be wonderfully smooth at the tension point. Posts are titanium now as well. Getting better and better.

Stew

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by kalvino67 View Post
    Hi all,

Well I finally decided to buy a Tachihara 4x5 (thanks to you all for your advice!) which should arrive in the next week or so.

I also needed a tripod for the camera and I purchased a Gitzo 2530LVL tripod plus a RRS BH-40 ball head plus B2-Pro-II QR clamp.

However, not being able to try the camera or tripod kit prior to purchase, I am concerned that either a Gitzo series 2 tripod or the BH-40 head may not be sturdy enough for 4x5.

Can anyone confirm if this was a sensible or stupid tripod choice for the Tachi?

FWIW, I will be using a 90, 150 and 210mm lens. Possibly adding a 75mm in the future.

Thanks for any advice.
    I've had absolutely no problems using my shenhao 4x5 (which is heavier than the tachi) on a manfrotto 055B pro tripod. I'm not sure what the foreign equivalent model number is, but I think it might be bogen 2021 or something like that (you can google it to figure out). It's got a standard 3-way head. It's basically an approx. 6' high, 3 segment tripod made out of metal tubing (steel? damned if I know). It's robust by consumer standards, but nothing like some of the monster video tripods and the stuff 8x10 and higher users get stuck with.

I don't think you'll have a problem with a heavy consumer (or light professional) tripod.

Another Tachi kind of guy here. I've been using on my Slik UA212, and haven't had a problem yet. When I feel lazy and don't want to pack up the 4x5 when walking along, I leave it attached to the tripod. The Slik does a fine job holding it together. Thanks to the Tachi's weight the sky's probably the limit on a tripod as long as you figure on a minmum of 4-5 pounds.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

In the end, I decided on a Markins M20 ball head and Gitzo 2530LVL tripod. It's a nice combination for the Tachi in 'calm' conditions. I have not tried it as yet for windy conditions but I doubt it would be so stable. It probably doesn't matter though as I couldn't see the Tachi bellows coping with seriously adverse conditions anyway. I'm not too fond of the Markins camera plate and I may end up changing the screw that attaches camera to plate, so that the camera is more secure.

But overall, this combo seems to be a good choice.