Thread: Cooke XV in Ilex #4 shutter

Vanannan

Cooke XV in Ilex #4 shutter

Hi all
    Is anyone able to tell me if the front lens group of a Cooke XV (the original one not the XVa) is a direct fit into an Ilex #4 shutter, I see from the Ansel Adams video that his was mounted in a #4 also Jim Galli has one advertised in the sale/wanted section of this forum which is also in a #4 Ilex (I have emailed Jim but believe he is away on a shoot somewhere) I have measured the thread diameter and pitch of the front lens group and if it is not a direct fit it must be mighty close (dimentions of #4 shutter from SK Grimes website) any info would be much appreciated

Thankyou

Re: Cooke XV in Ilex #4 shutter

You could send me the lens and i will check it out

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan L Pedersen View Post
    You could send me the lens and i will check it out
    Hi
    I know global warming is bad but wasn't aware that hell had frozen over yet

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Hi
    That will never happen Tony but maybe Jim Galli can help you with more info on both points. I'm certain Jim would help you with your dilema.

Hi Tony. Yes, no. Yes, theoretically it is the same thread as the Ilex 4 but I've had several Ilex 4's that the thread was too "tight". The all black Ilex 4 shutters of the 1940's are the best bet. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Hi
    Does every year in Hell, Michigan.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Vanannan

Hi
    Thanksfor the advise whih is greatly appreciated, if I can find an Ilex #4 at a reasonable cost I will give it a go (bid for one with glass on Ebay last night and missed out by $2) as I have an original lenshood for the Cooke which has two threads one of which replaces the front cell in the barrel I could possibly use this with some valve grinding paste to ease the threads on a shutter if the fit is tight???
    Thanks again
    Tony

Vanannan

Hi all
    Received Ilex #4 from USA today, Cooke XV front component is a perfect fit, took lens and shutter to engineering workshop to have an adapter made to use the rear component behind the shutter, all I need now is a good digital photo of the front of an Ilex #4 with the correct aperture engraving so I can use it as a template otherwise I will have to ship everything from the Isle Of Man to the USA just to have the aperture scale engraved.
    Thanks to you all
    Regards
    Tony

Tony, I'll do that for you. I'll make a good scan at 300 dpi. Printed at 300 dpi it should be exact. Also you may be able to save your machinist some time by sacrificing the old barrel. He could cut the back off of it and then only have to machine one thread for the shutter at the correct seperation. Remember to take careful measurements in the barrel for comparison later. Cell seperation should be identical in shutter and barrrel (hard to do if you choose to sacrifice the barrel unless done first). I think Cooke actually lists it for you on the rear group. It really is a superb lens.

Vanannan

Hi Jim
    Thanks for the offer of the photo that will be great, if you wish to send it direct my Email is tony@tonylakin.com also thankyou for your advise it is greatly appreciated I have instructed the workshop to make the adapter from scratch rather than sacrifice the barrel as the lens is in lovely condition complete with proper cooke lenshood, leather front and rear lenscaps and leather case and prefer to keep everything together and as originally supplied from the factory.
    I have owned the lens for over 20 years and it cost me nothing, I have used it many times, firstly by using the lenscap for time exposures, secondly in front of a Sinar/copal shutter and latterly in front of a copal #3 via a custom made adapter ring I agree with you on it's quality so much so that as soon as the new XVa became available I had to have one but will look forward to using the XV in the Ilex #4.
    Again thanks to you Jim and also thanks to Gordon Hutchings and Barbara Lowry at Cooke Optics.
    Regards
    Tony Lakin