Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Top do's and don't for websites

Re: Top do's and don't for websites

Definitely a good summary and rundown. Since this thread started a while ago, I have launched my new website. One of the issues that came up was viewing on laptop monitors. So while larger desktop displays are still common, small laptop screens are often in usage, even in corporate environments. That 1024 by 768 is still a good target, but the browser chrome and other window dressing take away from that area; meaning that and even smaller footprint is left for content.

My own goals were to get a fast loading, fast navigating, easy to update website for my work. I still need to add more content, and obviously add in some text about myself and how I work as a creative partner. Judging from some feedback I got creatives at large corporations, it seems like everything is working so far . . . though whether this generates more work is still unanswered.

Those doing art biased websites, or wanting to generate print sales, rather than doing commercial work, probably have very different goals. That I think is a key difference with what some here have posted. However, just a simple overview of whether a website meets ones goals might be a good indicator.

Whether art biased, or commercial, we want to stand out as individuals through our websites. So while I agree that standards are the launching point, I think there is room to go beyond that. The caveat is whether one can pull it off. Traditional advertising is still going to drive more traffic, or meaningful page views, than biasing towards search engine optimization and rolling those dice. I have found several larger and well known companies actually writing code to avoid search engine robots, though maybe that is an example of choosing your target audience.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/spot...demoshows_psp3

For those who may be interested, this demo requires installing their "presenter" (free) download. in my opinion, this program allows one to take websites into a realm that is more professional.

It may not be acceptable to those who dislike flash...recognizing, of course that tastes differ.

photodex doesn't even load in Safari... haha does it feel like we're going in a circle here?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    photodex doesn't even load in Safari... haha does it feel like we're going in a circle here?
    Hmmm...I can get their main page open on Safari...it appears that the plug in is the problem. I will contact them since that is something that needs to be rectified...it opens and downloads fine in IE and Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Traditional advertising is still going to drive more traffic, or meaningful page views, than biasing towards search engine optimization and rolling those dice.
    You'd get a higher percentage of meaningful page views, but I doubt you'd get more traffic. And if you get the massive traffic that SEO can bring, no matter how small is the meaningful part, it is likely to be larger in absolute numbers.

By the way, by meaningful, I assume you mean "business generating ?". To me a child in Indonesia or an old wheelchair bound man in Iowa who get to see what Gates of the Arctic look like is meaningful. I make a good living out of my website, however one of the most rewarding part of operating it has been the long emails of appreciation that I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Hmmm...I can get their main page open on Safari...it appears that the plug in is the problem. I will contact them since that is something that needs to be rectified...it opens and downloads fine in IE and Firefox.
    Now there's two perfect "don't" examples right there. Don't rely on third party plug-ins and don't make your site(s) browser-specific.

I know that Flash is also a third party plug-in, but it is one of the exceptions, if not the only exception in this case. Personally, I am not a big fan of it either, except in very specific circumstances such as multimedia or entertainment site.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Now there's two perfect "don't" examples right there. Don't rely on third party plug-ins and don't make your site(s) browser-specific.

I know that Flash is also a third party plug-in, but it is one of the exceptions, if not the only exception in this case. Personally, I am not a big fan of it either, except in very specific circumstances such as multimedia or entertainment site.

I understand what you are saying. I believe that the plug in that Photodex uses is only for viewing of their demos since they have a wide variety of possible output venues in the software. I do like the polished presentation that is possible with their software and look forward to working with it. I also use the Vegas software for video and still combinations.

The Photodex software has capabilities that Vegas does not. I am increasingly moving away from still photography as the only means for my creative emphasis because, for me, still photography has limitations that I wish to transcend.

Well, Photodex isn't particularly Apple-friendly. They make ProShow Gold (for making slide shows) and it doesn't work on Mac OS last I knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    Well, Photodex isn't particularly Apple-friendly. They make ProShow Gold (for making slide shows) and it doesn't work on Mac OS last I knew.
    Yes, that is true.

Being that I'm not that computer savvy. I've owned a domain name and a cheap 5 page website program I purchased from Register.com.some time ago. But I've yet to do anything with it. My goal isn't so much to generate an income from it but just to be able to give others access to the work I'm doing in ULF photography. I work In Pt/Pd, wet plate collodion, and albumen. I would like to just be able to post my work online but I don't want it to look like some hack did it. I know the best advice is to hire a professional to design a site for me but for what I want to do it will not justify the cost. If I upgrade to register.com's program that gives many more features would this allow me to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thanks, Robert