Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 4x5 camera for 75mm lens?

Best 4x5 camera for 75mm lens?

Hi all,

Well I'm brand new to LF but I have been doing some reading over the last couple of months, both here and recommended LF books.

Based on my research, a great LF camera for the 75mm -210mm lens range is the Arca Swiss Field...BUT...I can't afford it!

I am starting from scratch and with lenses, meter, tripod, film, darkroom equipment etc..the budget is rapidly diminishing and I am considering spending money on good glass.

So, which of the cameras below with a standard bellows (prefer not to change to a bag bellows) can best focus a 75mm Rodenstock Grandagon-N f4.5 at close range?

Shen Hao HZX-45 IIA
    Toho
    Tachihara
    Wista DXIII

I'm assuming all of the above have no problems with a 210mm lens. My other lens will be a 150mm.

I will be photographing mainly landscapes (alot of coastal shots) as well as some street architecture.

One additional question...which would be easier to use in an urban environment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Kalvin

Thomas

Re: Best 4x5 camera for 75mm lens?

I can only speak for the Wista. I am using a Wista DX (not DXIII, but they are similar) with a 65mm Schneider Super Angulon. Mostly landscapes. Focusing is no problem, but movements (especially shift and rise/fall) are limited due to the bellows. With a 75mm lens it should be better. With a 90mm the Wista works very well, enough movement. The 75mm will be somewhere in between 65 and 90.

Tachihara and Shen-Hao should work in similar ways, I guess. The cameras are somewhat similar in design.

Greetings, Thomas

Hi, you will find a lot of info on the cameras you hve mentined on this forum.

I personaly use Tachihara for cca 1 year and am quite happy with it. I can not comment on 75mm lens but have heard that it should not be a problem, although recessed lens board would be probably a good idea. The bellows are quite soft.

Remember - the closer you focuse the further goes the lens from the film plane - the less is the bellows copressed . Infinity focus is what is important with wide angle lenses.

For a landscape - any of the cameras mentioned will do the job. For architecture I guess that Shen hao and Toho will give you more movements. I have used my Tachi for some architecture. The movements are not full, but to be able to use them you also need lenses with large coverage (read expensive).

Let me justy metion one more reasonable priced wood field camera - Chamonix - search the forum for more.

Easier to use in urban area is the one that does not get too much attention. In this sense metal cameras or monorails tend to fare better than the classic look red wood & brass fittings decorated field camera (like the tachi - so beautifull). But on the other hand filed cameras are quite fast to setup/pack what can be an advantage.

I do not know your budget and equipement you already have, but be sure to get a stable tripod and a stron head. 3-way heads are basically cheaper. I find ball heads especially with longer lenses (I use Osaka 400 tele) harder to use. For architecture where to get camera level is usually needed is the ball head hard to use.

Good luck
    Matus

Thanks for your comments Thomas.

Sorry...the post should have read the best 4x 5 camera for a 75mm lens in relation to ability of camera movements/ focusing for this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Let me justy metion one more reasonable priced wood field camera - Chamonix - search the forum for more.
    Hi Matus,

I did search for information in English about a 4x5 Chamonix but with not much luck as their website is in Chinese. I contacted their ebay distributors who are selling larger format Chamonix cameras. Waiting time for the 4x5 is approx. 3 months and price is approx $700 US. But I'm not sure of the specs for these cameras, particularly the type of back movements. It didn't sound as though I could find one used on ebay.

You can find some info and detailed photos HERE

the guy to conatct on this forum is Hugo Zhang - he can give you the details no need also concernig the production and so on.

You will probably not find used as the company is rather young.

Well, I do not say that this is THE camera you are looking for - it is just another option. I find it interestring compared to Tachi (has longer 360mm bellows).
    Matus

Kalvino,

The Tachihara, Wista and Shen-Hao are all good, basic wood field cameras. The Toho is somewhat specialized. My advice is, that if you have never used a 4x5 and have no specific commercial reason to buy a 75mm lens .... don't .... at least don't put it in your kit as one of your first lenses. 75mm is very wide on 4x5 and you should really start with longer lenses and see if you feel that you really need the 75. Try shooting first with just the 150 and 210. Wait a while and see if you really feel the need for a wider lens. Alternatively, if you feel you must have a wide angle, start with a 90m lens.

Ted makes a very good point.

I wanted to do work on the other end of the spectrum from you, shootin portraits.

I tried to use very long lenses and found that 150/180 is actually fairly long on 4x5 for me, giving me the best options.

Maybe you could consider something like a 150/120 length to begin with, as you might find with 4x5 you don't need such a wide field of view?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    My advice is, that if you have never used a 4x5 and have no specific commercial reason to buy a 75mm lens .... don't .... at least don't put it in your kit as one of your first lenses. 75mm is very wide on 4x5 and you should really start with longer lenses and see if you feel that you really need the 75. Try shooting first with just the 150 and 210. Wait a while and see if you really feel the need for a wider lens. Alternatively, if you feel you must have a wide angle, start with a 90m lens.
    Thanks for the advice Ted. I am considering buying a 75mm only based on my extensive use of a 20-24mm lens range in 35mm format plus the 4x5 images I have seen by well-renowned photographers. For example, Jack Dykinga's use of the 75mm lens is more appealing to me than say photos by Joe Cornish photos where a 90mm lens was used (although images from both photographers are to die for!!).

...I do love the look of those Chamonix cameras...don't think I can wait 3 months though...need to buy asap to start my LF journey!

All of the cameras you listed will probably focus a 75mm but they may not allow much rise, which may be important if you want to keep tall forground elements vertical.

I have the Rodenstock you mention (great focal length for 4x5) and the Toho. I can get about 18mm rise out of the 28mm rise available with this lens.