Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycling w/LF

Steve Gombosi

Bicycling w/LF

So, does anyone have any good suggestions for transporting LF (4x5 in my case) on a bike, either on
    a short jaunt (<20 miles), or on longer rides? I have a reasonable system worked out for carrying my
    MF gear (well, except for the 500mm), but transporting the 4x5 and associated paraphenalia is an entirely different proposition.

Steve

Re: Bicycling w/LF

My wife and I took a weekend bicycle trip with two bikes, a tent, sleeping bags, an 8x10M Toyo, 12 film holders and a box of lenses and accessories.

How? When the kids were little, we bought one of those trailers that you haul your kid in. It worked just as well for camping and photo gear as it did for kids. Better, in a way. I didn't have to make the Toyo wear a helmet. I gotta tell ya, though, riding up hills was a bear!
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Search rec.bicycles.tech for reviews/opinions on the Bob trailers, but most of what I've heard are positive. If you already have an LF backpack system, you can just put that in the trailer and bungie it down.

http://www.bobtrailers.com/trailers/trailers.php

You could do the rack/pannier system, but then you'd likely have to split the components between two panniers, plus strap the tripod to the top of the rack sticking over the rear wheel.

Drew

I purchased meduim sized paniers for my bike and I put the backpack with the LF in one side and other stuff (collapsed tripod, case of filmholders, water, jacket, cap, etc.) in the other. I only have done trips in the <20 mile category, but everything travels well.

I only go on shorter bike rides with a 4x5 camera which I am able to fit in my backpack just fine. Water too. I enjoy bike rides as you are more inclined and able to stop when you see something then if you are in a car.

I'm assuming your using a touring bike with pannier frames, Bobtrailers is a great idea and so would any baby carrier that you could get from a hammerhead whose kids are now grown up. Check your local bikeshop or clubs in your area and contact those kind of guys that may have one cheap. I heard that Boulder is a mecca for bikers.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Steve Gombosi

Mountainsmith "Day" lumbar pack: Tachihara 4x5, 3 lenses (180 Nikkor-W, 90 Angulon, 270 Tele-Arton), Polaroid 545, BTZS darkcloth, meter, loupe, and 40 Velvia quickloads. Tripod strapped to the rear rackon the bike. Keeps people from tailgating ;-)

I think this will work.

Steve

I think that carrying the gear on your body rather than loading it more or less directly on an axle will be better for your lenses. This approach will be a good deal faster too - just get off the bike and go photograph. If it turns out to be too much for your back you might compromise by carrying the lenses and filters in a lumbar pack or backpack and putting the more durable items in a (Ortleib) pannier.

I hope this works for you, and I hope you'll report back.

Lucky for you there is a lf camera specifically designed for bicyling, called a Cycle Poco. A very compact folder. Add a small convertible lens and readyloads and you've got a great ultra-lightweight system.

Steve Gombosi

So this setup proved a little uncomfortable on a 10 mile shakedown ride yesterday. Mountainsmith sells an accessory padded backpack strap which might help - I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions!

Steve