Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone Identify this camera?

Can someone Identify this camera?

So I'm shopping around for a lightweight LF field camera, i've narrowed it down to a Tachi, Shen Hao or maybe a Wista..but I found this auction on ebay and I can't imagine it's going to sell for more than 300$ or so. So my question is, should I just spend the 600$ for a new Tachihara or pay half the amount for the ebay auction? Just curios to hear some opinions and if someone can identify exactly what kind of camera it is, that would be helpful as well. Thanks

ebay link (cut and paste) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=014

Dustin

Japan Exposures

Re: Can someone Identify this camera?

With a seller that clueless, $300 may buy the same in problems. Bellows for a start. How do you know it locks tightly etc.

I would stay away from this 'bargain'

Hard to identify without a name plaque

It's not a current line Wista if it's a Wista at all, but its design looks like more likely, an early Zone VI. It would be nice if it was a Wisner, although I doubt so. Doesn't look like a Tachy or a Shen Hao to me either.

By the way, how do you propose to mount it on a tripod with a base like that?

Indian camera?

That's a turntable tripod mount isn't it?

It is a Calumet wood field, I have one exactly like it, the tell tale sign is the chincy painted tripod mount that has the paint flaking off. They are an okay camera, not quite as rigid as the more expensive cameras, but very usable.

Dave

Well, I have half a mind!

Yes, it is either a Calumet or early Nagaoka (Nagoaka advertised this camera in View Camera Magazine in the early '90's). If my memory isn't failing me, I think Calumet put an ID on the base just where you can see some residual adhesive in the ebay pics - Dave? I have one, also. This is a very lightweight camera -less than 3 pounds -and terrific for backpacking, but you give up some stability, especially in the rear swing design. One major caveat is the very weak rear-positioned tripod mount. Put a longish lens on it and you risk pulling the mount screws out. I fabricated a new mount from aluminum that extends from the original mount to a wood nut on the opposite side (formed in a shallow "U" shape so that I could still close the camera with a lens attached), then drilled and threaded a new mount hole in the center.

Glad someone figured it out. For a sec there I thought it might be the infamous Crapocamera!

For ~ $300, it sounds like it may not be such a bad deal.

--A

Dave is right. It's the 4x5 Calumet Woodfield. I got mine directly from Calumet more than twenty years ago for about $250. I used it all this time until about four months ago when I bought a Shen-Hao and the only reason I made the switch is because of the availability of a bag bellows for the Shen-Hao. (Almost all of that time I only used a 150mm lens but a few years ago I got a good 90.) The Calumet is very small and light weight, the Shen-Hao is much much heavier. It's a perfectly good little camera though as long as you don't need precision geared movements.

Well, I have half a mind!

My improved version of the chincy, painted tripod mount Attachment 5626

I only paid $125.00 for mine about 2 years ago, which based on the camera, was a good deal, I would not pay over $200 for a used one, it is a great backpacking camera, very lightweight...