Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new web site: Critical Comments?

Re: My new web site: Critical Comments?

Well, after I just went out and comforted "Willy" in the garage and told him you really DID like how he looks, and promised to take him out on some dirt trails tomorrow, he settled down and seemed to be resting OK. (But, I DO understand your point, Photomax, Mike whispers quietly on the side ...)

As for the site name, my problem was in figuring out how many people could spell "Hoogendyk" - let alone pronounce it. I figured that at least 80 to 90% of the public would have problems if I told them to go to www.mikehoogendyksimages.com, or some such URL using my last name. Heck, even my MOM misspells it sometimes - but, that's another story.

As you said, the rest of issues, "flash", etc., have been discussed in detail and we are evaluating each of those recommendations, too.

Thanks for the additional input. I really appreciate it.

Oh, by the way, for those of you who visited our local Imageworks site several weeks ago ( http://www.imageworks.org ), there are six or seven or so of the members who now have their full complement of ten images showing on the site. If you want to check them out, I think I remember that they are: Peters, Eskey, Palmenberg, Hoogendyk, Dolberg, O'Connell and ??? I know that Bealer and Wright are really close to having their full ten also. So - You have 70 or 80 more images you can review. Have fun!

No worries. I hope you don't think I have anything against Jeeps! I am an old FJ40 Land Cruiser guy myself (see pic).

As the to the URL name: whatever works for you is great. Generally speaking its better to be a little specific, like hoogendykphotography dot com etc.

Putting together a website is a process: its never really done. I am going to totally redo mine when I find the time. I am sort of drifting into doing web design for clients now. Its an interesting challenge but I think it will be a way of increasing traffic to my commercial shooting though. My last project was http://www.cactusrestaurants.com/ (sorry no LF pics).

Keep the questions coming...

Max

PS: that FJ40 photo:

Mike , I remember you from Sedona-the Michael & Paula workshop in '06? I loved your work. Its good to see some of it again.
    The website is terrific.
    David McMahon

Keeping life in the shadows is always a challenge in B&W photography, and showing pictures on a brilliant white background makes it even harder.
    I agree, a white background skewes the dilation of the eye, making shadows deeper.

Mike,

Having been to 'Tumacacori' and found almost nothing to make "images" of, I applaud your vision and what you "saw" there. Nice work, though a bit heavy on the burning of the edges of those petroglyphs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Check this one out:

http://www.photonewmexico.biz/
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    ...Nice work, though a bit heavy on the burning of the edges of those petroglyphs.
    Heavy? Crushingly so! I actually had to turn the lights on in the darkroom while exposing them corners to get 'em that dark! Actually, the "stuff" that was in those corners was so darn distracting that putting a match (or a blow torch) to 'em was just about the only solution.

By the way, thanks for the compliment, David.

can't say if its headed in the right direction since I haven't got a clue what the brief for the site was.

What I can tell you is that the flash presentation works well.
    Personally I think black background is not a good choice for a photography site.
    There is so little text in the site that search engines have nothing to index but you may have specified that search engine position was not important in your brief to the web designer. If you didn't specify one way or another then your web designer should have asked.

And lastly I am constantly amazed at the number of people who metamorphose into "Fine Art Photographers" when they retire. Some people have been working at being one their whole life. They even went to college and studied art or photography and have made their living from their art. Some other lucky people seem to be able to flick a switch and instantly become one when its convenient. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Champagne View Post
    ...I am constantly amazed at the number of people who metamorphose into "Fine Art Photographers" when they retire. Some people have been working at being one their whole life. They even went to college and studied art or photography and have made their living from their art. Some other lucky people seem to be able to flick a switch and instantly become one when its convenient. Amazing.
    Rob, What amazes me is the NUMBER of photographers. There's gotta be 100,000 people who call themselves Photographers. As for me, yep, I was an art major when I first went to college decades ago. Wanted to be in art, but couldn't see much of a living in it then. Now I want to "flick a switch" and I find it very hard to do. What category do you fit into?