Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses bulk Chemicals?

Re: Who uses bulk Chemicals?

I mix everything from bulk and have done so for more than 60 years. It has been a rare occasion when I have bought pre-packaged chemistry, and have almost always been disappointed with the purchase. This applies not only to B&W chemicals, but both positive and negative color also.

I too mix pretty much all my own. I get hypo, sodium sulfite, carbonate and what not from a local commerical pool/boiler supply house, look for a place on the railroad tracks, they deal in the tons,but will sell in 50 lbs bags. I think I pay about 1.25$/lb for sodium sulfite, its 10$/lb in a kodak bottle at the photo store.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

by the way, if anyone in the NYC area is interested in taking some chemistry off my hands, email me and I'll tell you what I have. I'll probably keep the basics (sodium sulfite, developing agents, etc.) i'd like to give away the alternative process chemicals that I'm not going to use any time soon.

I mix some of my own developers. Sandy King's Pyrocat-HD in glycol & Michael Smith's Amidol. I use the Formulary's TF-4 for fix.

I also purchase Dektol and Zone VI Fix.

I purchase my chemicals from Artcraft, the Formulary or on rare occasions on Ebay

I purchased a digital scale on Ebay that measures to 1/10th of a gram. Cost was under $30 dollars, maybe even less then $20. I also purchased some weights to verify the accuracy of the scale. It is dead on!
    Last edited by John Bowen; 29-Aug-2007 at 12:54. Reason: Add information

Most of my chemistry is also mixed from bulk including Pyrocat MC, MAS Amidol and MAS fix Sodium thiosulfate/ Sodium bisulfite and all Pt/Pd chemistry.
    Buy from Artscraft, Formulary, Bostic & Sullivan and occasionally on ebay.
    Also keep some Xtol and Rodinal around just in case.
    It's in a way rewarding to make as much as possible from scratch.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Jan L Pedersen View Post
    It's in a way rewarding to make as much as possible from scratch.
    it's also insurance against your favorite formula getting discontinued!

I mix everything but KRST. This way I am not afraid that anything will be discontinued, I mix whatever volume I need and I am sure it is always the same, I might be not very accurate but I am consistent. I use normal (not dark) bottles but I place them in a large box with cover, so they are always in the dark. I get chemicals from Claire from JD Photochem and sometimes the Formulary. Unfortunately my other passion that brings money does not allow much time for darkroom recently, when this will end I will be buying whatever possible in 50 or 100 lb bags again.

I make regular use of home made D-23, D-76/ID-11 and D-72.

"I keep a separate set of glassware for each of my processes.I keep a separate set of glassware for each of my processes." That's called keeping it Kosher .

I make Kosher D76 and D72.

Sodium Sulfite and calcium carb come from The Chemistry Store 25# at a time. Borax is 20 Mule Team from the laundry aisle at the grocery store.
    Most of the other stuff from Photographers Formulary or the stuff I inherited from my neighbor who had a wedding business in 1950/60. I have unopened cans of D76 from then. There are quart jars of hydroquinone.

The scale came from my father in laws` days in medical school, 1930 something. Still works fine
    I prefer it to the cheapie balance I bought in the late 60`s which I also still have