Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polaroid T55 questions.

Polaroid T55 questions.

Hi,

I'm thinking of using this film. It seems to have great characteristics for a negative film and would actually work out cheaper for me rather than buying and having film processed. (Doing it myself is not an option for lots of reasons).

Can I ask a few questions I have after trying to research via the posts on this forum?

1) The film seems to be smaller than 4X5", is it significantly smaller? I don't want to be shooting medium format sizes.

2) According to Polaroid the negative is very sensitive. On some pdf's they recommend using a fixer to harden, on others they say not to. Any consensis?

3) The holders seems to be the root of most problems when processing this film, should I be buying new?

4) The times specified on the website don't show above 24 degrees centigrade. Where I will be working is approximately 38 degrees at present outdoors. Are there any times for hotter climates or only colder? For that matter, are there any reciprocity tables?

5) Given the heat, can this film be refrigerated and if so how long should it thaw out before use?

6) How do you expose for this negative? Do you expose for the shadows or the mid tones?

7) Can these negatives be scanned using a regular epson? I understand that preserving the border will not allow fitting into the regular holders but I have no use for the border at all.

8) I'm hoping to have the negs drum scanned for exhibition at 40X30", any problems given that I'm quite happy with my 645 trannies at 20X16"?

Many many thanks,

Re: Polaroid T55 questions.

1) The film seems to be smaller than 4X5", is it significantly smaller?

Actual image size is slightly smaller, over-all size is slightly larger. So if you print with all the type 55 edge effects, then it is larger than 4x5 -- if you print inside the borders, than it will be slightly (but not significantly) smaller than 4x5.

2) On some pdf's they recommend using a fixer to harden, on others they say not to.

Optional -- I don't. Once dry, the film is as tough as any other.

3) The holders ...should I be buying new?

A lightly used one will be fine -- check the set of two rollers -- no pits in the metal, no developer gunk dried all over the insides, etc.

4) The times specified on the website don't show above 24 degrees centigrade. Where I will be working is approximately 38 degrees at present outdoors.

If I am outside the recommended temp range, I remove the exposed film without processing it -- I then wait until I can control the temperature before processing. I have worked with type 55 in -0C temperatures with no problem.

5) Given the heat, can this film be refrigerated and if so how long should it thaw out before use? I just used some outdated Type 55 (1988) that has been in the fridgerator for the past 14 years. Give it an hour to warm up from the fridge to be safe. I don't know about freezing Type 55.

6) How do you expose for this negative? Do you expose for the shadows or the mid tones?

Always the shadows...I have used filters and/or selenium toning to increase contrast.

I don't see any problem with scanning Type 55 like any other 4x5 film.

Have fun!

Vaughn

I've been reading that for the negative you expose at iso 25-32, with filter factor this could be interesting!

Do NOT freeze Type 55!!!

I rate the neg at 40, the print at 80, but if the light is flat, you can rate both at 50, like it says on the box, and split the difference.

If it's very warm and you have to process on the spot, just go for the minimum time recommended.

You can use filters, toning, intensification, and reduction on the neg, just like any B&W film (the emulsion is said to be Panatomic-X). You can lengthen development time a bit as well to increase contrast somewhat--not as much as with normal development because with Polaroid you're essentially developing and fixing at the same time.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Do NOT freeze Type 55!!!
    Do NOT freeze any Polaroid Instant film!!!

in my experience - you have to be VERY careful exposing for the shadows with 55... as the highlights can block up really badly...!!

Though you can significantly alter this effect by using a traditional developer from what I understand...

I was intending to use a red filter on the lens to try and keep the sky from blowing, on the other hand the 2 stop filter factor is not to be ignored when shooting with a film that slow and with that bad reciprocity characteristics. Half hour exposures in early morning light anyone?

The highlights on the print can block up easily, but I don't find that to be the case particularly with the neg. If anything, I find that Type 55 negs are a little on the thin side (and they scan quite well as a result, if you're scanning), and usually print well around grade 3. I rate the neg at EI 40. If you rate it at a lower speed, of course, you'll get more density.

Ben,

Here is a page on Polaroid 55 Tips I made a while ago. There is some good info and links there.

Best,
    Darr