Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Readyloads Discontinued?

Readyloads Discontinued?

Hello

I've noticed there seems to be a shortage of Readyload holders and film lately, and I was told by a local pro lab that Kodak may be discontinuing that system. It may just be a shortage, but has anyone else heard anything about Kodak ceasing production?

Re: Readyloads Not Discontinued

Last Kodak reps I spoke with stated: no way. About the only thing not really changing is any expansion of film choices, though the current group seems quite good.

There was an issue of quality control in the latest holders. This might be why they are a little tough to find. Apparently some were not truly flat, which potentially could have compromised film flatness, or led to light leaks. However, it is as simple as checking the holder in the camera prior to putting it to use. If the holder seems to be out of true while in the camera, then return it for a refund or exchange.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Re: Readyloads Discontinued?

Hi Scott,
    Welcome to the forum. There was a thread on this a few weeks back. Do a search.

Yes, I read the previous thread. I believe that was just about a holder shortage, I was wondering about a discontinuation of the whole Readyload system. But if that's not the case, I'm glad to hear it.

Almost a year since this thread was initiated, Readyloads are being discontinued:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...requestid=5111

I'm thankful that I went with Quickloads instead of Readyloads, but of course, that could change in the not so distant future too.

Pray Ilford might step in and save the day. Reportedly Ilford is negotiating with Polaroid to take over production of Polaroid's b&w instant films. Maybe Ilford could buy the rights to Readyload (which is nothing more than a relatively simple packaging technology) and make it an option for some of its excellent b&w films.

Does anyone know anyone at Ilford who might listen to my plea?

Quote Originally Posted by David Finch View Post
    ...Ilford might step in and save the day. Reportedly Ilford is negotiating with Polaroid to take over production of Polaroid's b&w instant films...
    Ilford has already announced that it will not take over Polaroid production; its analysis indicated doing so would not be economically viable.

I'd rate my chances of winning the lottery greater than Ilford packaging its films in Readyload-compatible packets. The odds of Kodak selling Ilford that equipment are even longer.

Kodak stopped manufacturing Readyloads because it no longer makes economic sense, so it seems likely that Ilford would face the same constraints. I'd also expect Fuji to also discontinue Quickloads in the next few years. Probably good sense to add a freezer to the large format photographer's kit.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Kodak stopped manufacturing Readyloads because it no longer makes economic sense, so it seems likely that Ilford would face the same constraints. I'd also expect Fuji to also discontinue Quickloads in the next few years. Probably good sense to add a freezer to the large format photographer's kit.
    That well could be the case. However, I am hoping that with consolidation that comes from Kodak dropping out of the field, Fuji gains market share of the quickload style product. I dunno. There will be a big ass freezer going in at my garage. I am already getting some chin music over the amount of film in our food freezer, since I buy in bulk to start with. Quickloads are kind of bulky to store in the freezer, but it is what it is.