Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would You Attend a Workshop in Newfoundland?

Re: Would You Attend a Workshop in Newfoundland?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    The question is, would there be interest in workshops and, if so, what kind? How many days should they run? What is the optimum group size? What time of year?
    DEFINITELY not in October!! I recall the last time I was up there on business and the locals were verifying that October is indeed a quite rainy time of year up there (to put it bluntly). Summers of course are lovely. Otherwise, your idea sounds like a grand opportunity for photo artists.

I've done one successful tour to Iceland leading a group and have another filled for the Spring of 2008. I have also been looking into doing the same in Newfoundland and would be interested in checking out your establishment for a possible base or at least a stop on such a tour. Please keep me informed.

I have attended several workshops at the Maine Photographic Workshops, and if your offerings were of a similar calibre and temperment then I would definitely consider it. The biggest drawback for me would be that it is in Canada, my workplace has a USA only training policy. I would have to wait until I could afford both the time and the cost for the trip myself. Then again, I have always wanted to visit both Newfoundland and Nova Scotia...

I know the area quite well and it is indeed a lovely location. I would be more interested in an informal type of photo workshop where I could use a darkroom to develop my 8X10 negatives and maybe make some proofs and have some constructive criticsm. I would like to travel the area with my wife and take photos as the spirit moves but it should definitely be informal. Fine dining, a good bar and a comfortable bedroom would be a must. Is your location anywhere near Fishers Loft? (I think I have the name right and my wife and I spent a lovely few days there a few years back)

Simon

Hi Simon,

Fisher's is in Port Rexton, maybe 10 miles away on the other side of the bay.

In August, I took this snapshot of a moose and her calf about a half mile from Fisher's. It isn't a good photograph, we were in the car and they just happened to be on the side of the road as we were passing, but it may bring back some memories.

Some info on Fisher's: http://www.fishersloft.com/
    Last edited by r.e.; 22-Sep-2009 at 09:19.

A number of folks seem to have expressed interest in being there, but not necessarily in workshopping there. Why not consider taking it the way it wants to go? Near us the MacDowell Colony offers space to artists of all ilk to reside and work on specific projects. Each has a small cabin, one or two even have darkrooms, as I recall. Folks come, work, and gather in the evenings to talk about their projects and otherwise socialize. MacDowell internships are free, but competition is fierce.

So maybe offer a "photographer's retreat" where folks can come and photograph, work in the darkroom or on the computers, hang out, eat, and drink? Charge normal room and board, and a lab fee for those working in the darkroom, but save the participants the expense of paying for instruction they don't want. Require a minimum stay length. Have communal meals at big tables. Revruit a couple young folks as interns who can lead photography expeditions and know the area ("interns" means free or nominal wages).

I'm sure MacDowell has a web site. You might also refer to Ted Orland's book "A View from the Studio Door," where he describes "salonistas" and his gatherings of artists to discuss their work.

This is all too easy for me to suggest, since I'm not at financial risk and don't need to do any work to make it come alive, so I apologize for my effrontery, but ya know, I just might be a regular for something like this. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

The best workshops I have been to spent most of the time indoors talking about photography and the actual time spent photographing was limited. I'd like to come there for a couple weeks and photograph or maybe follow Bill Schwab there with a group...EC

I was thinking the same thing as Bruce. MacDowell has been around for decades and has spawned a number of other "retreats" where musicians, artists, writers, and poets can work in private "studios" or cabins during the daytime and gather together for meals and to discuss each others' work. I would be very interested in that experience for photography, especially in that location.

Bruce and Tim are among a number of people who have talked about a 'retreat" model. We can't do it for "nominal" room an board, but maybe we can organize retreats that are sponsored. Anyway, it's something that we're going to consider as a model.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Bruce and Tim are among a number of people who have talked about a 'retreat" model. We can't do it for "nominal" room an board, but maybe we can organize retreats that are sponsored. Anyway, it's something that we're going to consider as a model.
    Who said "nominal?" Not me. MacDowell Colony is well-endowed (!) and can afford to do what they do. And as I said, competition is fierce to get in. Could I? Don't know, haven't tried. MacDowell stays can last a month, too, depending on the project and the persuasiveness of the proposal from the artist. They deliver lunch to your cabin in a basket, too. Fresh baked bread...

For a good place to stay, good chow, access to a place other than the bath tub to change film, and evenings with like-minded folks, I'd pay market rate with no quibble. If you can get sponsors to subsidize part, all the better, but it's definitely not a requirement to get my interest. I suspect the retreat model has appeal to many who are looking for an interesting place to get away from it all, or at least most of it. Sounds like you've got it.

What's it like there in the winter?
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com