Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Wide Angle Lense for architecture and interior

Which Wide Angle Lense for architecture and interior

As others have said, Schneider's SA 72XL. It's an incredible lens and alows plenty of movement. I recommend getting the center filter. Badger Graphics and Robert White in the UK have good prices.

regards,

Which Wide Angle Lense for architecture and interior

Ellis: According to your own definitions, a 65mm lens is equivalent to 19.5mm in the 35mm format, based on the angles. I think your point is that the angle spanning the wider dimension parallel to one of the sides provides a better way of comparing focal lengths than the angle subtended by the diagonal. For this to be valid, the height of the image (assuming landscape format) has no significance and only the horizontal dimension is of any visual consequence. You did raise an interesting issue that deserves some thought, and I am glad you did.

Re: Which Wide Angle Lense for architecture and interior

I use a 75mm Grandagon for interior and tight spaced exterior images. The wider you go the more distortion you get - so you need to balance the distortion with the situation. With interior images there usually isn't enough space to simply back up - so if you want the image you have to use a wider and wider lens.

Quote Originally Posted by NHP View Post
    I am looking for wide angle lens for architecture and interior. I am using Schn eider Apo-Symmar 210/5.6 and Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S 135/5.6, Super Angulon 90/ 5.6XL, but I want more wide like 65mm or 75mm. Which angle lens is better in qu ality? Also, I want to know which brand - Schneider, Rodenstock & Nikon - wide angle lens is best for architecture and interior. If you have any advice for th is, please tell me about it. Thanks. www.welcome.to/studionaki
    If you already have a 90mm, the logical choice would be a 65. A 72 or 75mm lens is very close to your 90mm in angle of view, so a 65 will provide you more sense of space in interior photography, but beware that a 65-75mm lens needs a center filter, no matter the brand of the lens. If you shoot BW the falloff is less noticeable than if you shot color transparencies. For years, I have been shooting interiors with 65-75mm lenses and color transparency film, and a center filter is a must. Not to mention that you have to be extremely careful with composition. Any object in the upper corners of the image will appear severely distorted if you use the lens at itīs maximum shift capabilities.

Everyone has their opinion on this and their own technical rationalization but just to throw in my two cents - 99% of the time you will be using a 75 through 120mm for interiors depending on the shot. 65mm probably never - except for really extreme situations like small bathrooms.

anything wider than a 75 just starts looking too weird.

I've always subscribed to a personal adage - which is to use the longest possible lens for any architectural situation - and it's always worked well for me. Sometimes yes - that might end up being a 75 or whatever - but there are times when that's the longest lens that will work in that situation...