Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aerial photography with large format

Aerial photography with large format

Dan,

I know what you mean. My K-17 with 9"x9" negatives really rocks, but a sprained back and a hernia kind of forced me to downsize a bit :-(

Colin: If you do go the Linhof route, look for a lens with top performance wide open. F/9, IMHO is too darn slow for aerials even with ASA 400 film at 250/th. YMMV

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John -

I've wanted to go to a K-17 for a long time, but I'm 74 and a disabled Vet. I'm not sure I can handle it. Can you tell me the model and magazine you are using? Also did you strip out the electrical stuff like the motor? Can you tell me how much it weighs?

Regards, Dan

Dan, with a fully loaded magazine it tips the scale at about 60# +- without the electrics and about as awkward as a big screen TV in a 172. It really needs to be in some kind of flexible mount, not hand held(theres only one wooden handle on the cone to boot! In any kind of turbulence you can easily damage the ship as well as yourself---not the way to make friends with the pilot and/or your HMO)

It would be my choice for shooting cuban missle sites;-) but the F-8 wins on all points except for the film splitting issue and that dinky negative(comparatively dinky---the K-20 is dinky!)

I've heard that the Nevada highway dept still uses K-17s. I've got the 305 Aerostigmat on mine plus a metrogon and cone. Should I ever win the lotto and get an A-26 for my "tripod" ..well that would sure be nice! The beast really belongs (sadly) in a museum---its a primo piece of engineering & history.

Fly with the dirty side down!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Aerial photography with large format

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Brent View Post
    Used a Speed Graphic all the time in the Navy leaning out the door of a helicopter. Every time a ship came out of the yard it had to have a complete photo "rig" done. I was also the photo lab camera repairman, and we used to set up a couple on infinity and add some extra screws to lock the rail down. We also made a simple back-of-the-lens-board bracket to hold a yellow filter gel. We used Grafmatic magazines instead of two-sheet holders. No darkslide to blow away.

I am trying to locate Tony Brent. Does he still post here or does anyone have his email address? I think this is the Tony Brent that I served with in the US Navy circa 1970 - 1972. Thanks

Downstairs

Is a pneumatic sheet film holder really necessary to keep the film flat enough for wide apertures? Linhof still makes one. What is the slowest useable shutter speed?
    I've been intrigued by aerial photography ever since using a gyroscopic stabilizer (attached to Hassy and 5 minutes to reach full speed) from a helicopter for air-liner shots over Sardegna. 6x6 was too small. The whole thing seemed fraught with unpredictable uncertainties, not least the permits required from military authorities.
    However, "Grand Format" in Paris has a nice little ww2 4x5 box for sale dirt cheap and I was interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Is a pneumatic sheet film holder really necessary to keep the film flat enough for wide apertures?
    It is very useful to have when shooting large (9-1/2"wide) roll film, especially when you'll be enlarging, but I haven't found it neccesary when shooting with cut film holders. As far as shutter speeds go, 1/250th is as slow as I care to go in a fixed wing.

I had problems shooting straight down from a helicopter with a speed graphic. The film bowed out from the vibration, the center was out of focus but edeges of frame were sharp. Shooting out to the side, the film settles down into the film holder and is ok.

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    It is very useful to have when shooting large (9-1/2"wide) roll film, especially when you'll be enlarging, but I haven't found it neccesary when shooting with cut film holders. As far as shutter speeds go, 1/250th is as slow as I care to go in a fixed wing.
    Would you be shooting wide open at 1/250 in the early morning? Sag would make quite a focus difference at full aperture. I never shot bigger than 6x6 and I'm getting interested because I know someone with a Yak (low wing, must bank).

No need to bank in the Yak, just shoot at the top of the loop. Don't forget to tighten that harness.

Adolf Gasser in San Francisco thinks they have an Aerial Technika body somewhere in their basement. You might want to contact John Gasser and see if he can find it. He indicated to us last week that he is not sure if it is in working condition but Marflex does service them.

And Aero Technika cameras have been used from everything from shooting in the Space Shuttle to copy work at the National Archives. If you can hold it it can be used.