Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First web site

First web site

Hi all. Well I finally got off my butt and am making a new website for myself. http://www.eidukasphoto.com It's still in the developing stages but I was hoping some of you might take a look. Make sure nobody's having any problems loading or navigating etc. Thanks.

Re: First web site

Galleries is spelled wrong on bottom menu bar...
    I clicked on galleries, b&w, and the image I attached is what I got on my Mac. Firefox 2.0
    That's as far as I went..kind of clogged up on right side. Why not keep menu bar at bottom-consistent?
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Yes, I'm havnig the same problem in Safari 2.0.4.

Looking at the code, I'd say it is both positioning and floating problem on the menu list. Also, those Dynamic Drive and DHTML Goodies scripts may look neat, by they often have cross-browser issues.

As a side note, I would drop the Disable Right Click script alltogether - it's only hogging up the resources and it still doesn't work.

P.S.

I like your images very much.

Thanks for the comments. I'm a novice at web site building as you probably noticed, I'll see what I can do. As for the right click disable function, yes there's ways around it but I guess I put it there as another reminder to people about copyrights. But what can you do? As an old high school teacher once put it, locks are to keep honest people honest. A thief always finds away around things. Glad you liked the images Marko, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saulius View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I'm a novice at web site building as you probably noticed, I'll see what I can do. As for the right click disable function, yes there's ways around it but I guess I put it there as another reminder to people about copyrights. But what can you do? As an old high school teacher once put it, locks are to keep honest people honest. A thief always finds away around things. Glad you liked the images Marko, thanks.
    You're doing pretty good for a novice. Just like photography, web design is far from being rocket science but it does require some knowledge and lots of practice. The Devil is in the details, as usual.

As for locks, this particular lock, shiny and attractive as it may be, is more of a hindrance to the owner than anything else. You just need to get used to the fact that once on the Web, everything is public.

Ok, got around to doing some changes and it seems to load just fine in Firefox now. In fact, I now use Firefox instead of IE as my browser. It's still a bit rough, not too many images yet but it's a start. Constructive feedback is appreciated.

As for the right click disable function, yes there's ways around it but I guess I put it there as another reminder to people about copyrights.
    Don't. That is rude and inconsiderate.

Remember, while you may own the pictures on the website, you don't own the persons browser nor their computer. A lot of people, like me, use the right click for website navigation. Personally, anytime I find a site that disables the right click, I either use Firefox (if I want to see the site bad enough), which can turn off any overriding functionality the web designer puts into, or I leave the site IMMEDIATELY (most of the time).

As for the right click disable function, yes there's ways around it but I guess I put it there as another reminder to people about copyrights. But what can you do?
    Your outlook on humanity is rather negative and won't endear you to anyone.

So taking your negative outlook we'll look at this way. There are millions and millions and millions of images on the web. Many many many thousands by very famous photographers which are of far more commercial value than your images. So please explain to us why someone would want to steal your images rather some very famous and valuable ones. Get the point? You are deluding yourself if you think your images are so special that they are going to be stolen by internet thieves for commercial profit. And that attitude conveys itself to all users of your website when they find that you regard them as potential thieves. Smart marketing? If you think so, then go with it.

I understand you are new to web designing, but you really need to take the disable right click off the website, it does not accomplish anything other than make those who look at your website mad and more willing to leave, and we all know a website is only successful if people are looking at it, if you make sure to optimize your images correctly for internet display, then the likely hood of somebody stealing them or making money off of them is very low, if I wanted to steal images, I would head over to flickr, there are more than enough images on that system to keep me busy for days, before you worry about someone stealing, your main concern it getting seen! which in itself is quite a task in this day an age.

Good start, yes it is rough and will take some work to get it on top, which should be your priority right now, then worry if your images will be stolen..

(besides ground glass, we own a web business that host hundreds of websites, many of which we have designed)

Good luck on your new venture.

Dave

I really don't understand all this negativity and my perception of downright hostility for having the right click function disabled. Of course it's easy to get around that and copy and save the images another way. But I don't see it as any different from having my copyright at the bottom of each web page with a link to a specific copyright statement. I just see it as another reminder, that's all. Maybe I'm missing something. Are people who might be interested in purchasing images right clicking and saving images off of your websites for reference on their own computer? Is there other reasons I'm unaware of or is it just your personal viewpoints and perceptions on the matter? Others put watermarks on their images or write their names with a copyright symbol on the images, do you see that just as negative? Does it make you think those individuals also have terribly negative outlooks on humanity?
    I don't navigate web pages by right clicking, thanks for that input. People who do I can see that as a big an issue.

Before posting this I did a quick, unscientific survey of several photographers websites most of whom belong to this forum. Out of the first ten I looked at eight allowed the
    right click function to save an image.

Kirk Gittings -no right click
    Domenci Foschi -no right click, uses flash? which prevents this?
    QT Luong-allowed
    Paul Butzi-allowed
    Danny Burk-allowed
    John Brady-allowed
    Darr Almeda-allowed
    Kerik Kouklis -allowed
    Per Volquartz-allowed
    Ted Orland-allowed

I guess when I get a chance I'll go back and take out the right click function. I still don't understand why it bothers people but I'll err on the side of caution.
    Any other comments? Do the pages load properly in your various web browsers?
    Thanks for the input and taking the time.