Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a new color landscape thread?

Re: How about a new color landscape thread?

The mount saint helens shot is very nice Rakesh.

Great shots everyone...
    I am new here and here is my contribution...
    (it's not yet a sharp scan or an unfinished digital job)

say, can somebody here direct me to a topic that compares digital b/w prints vs. silver gelatin? i wish to compare current state of the art digital prints with silver. what can silver do that digital can not do.

Quote Originally Posted by lostcoyote View Post
    Great shots everyone...
    I am new here and here is my contribution...
    (it's not yet a sharp scan or an unfinished digital job)

say, can somebody here direct me to a topic that compares digital b/w prints vs. silver gelatin? i wish to compare current state of the art digital prints with silver. what can silver do that digital can not do.
    Wow, that shot looks almost stereoscopic, very 3D and saturated.

As for digital gelatin silver vs. analog traditional I think you will find that they are visually indistinguishable.

Don Bryant

Inspiration Point, Anacapa Island, California
    135mm Sironar-S, Pro 160C, f16 1/15"

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    As for digital gelatin silver vs. analog traditional I think you will find that they are visually indistinguishable.

Don Bryant
    Sorry, but I have to disagree very strongly.

If behind glass, a digital B&W from one of the new inkjet printers can look very, very good...but silver gelatin prints have a certain look and feel in the hand that is still unmatched by any of today's papers. It's getting better, and there are some marvelous new papers that have just arrived and I'd love to try, but there is still no substitute.

On the other hand, digital and silver gelatin are two different and viable animals, and people should just accept that fact. Neither one should be superior to the other, it's just a preference. For me at this point in time, I consider a photograph to be an object, an art object in itself, and appreciate the inherent quality of work and time that goes into making it.

I've been printing digitally on inkjet for 6 years and have usually loved the results and the quickness of the workflow. However, over the last 6 months, when I started to undertake silver gelatin printing seriously, I have developed (no pun intended!) a passion for the traditional craft and art of B&W printing. Yes, it can be very frustrating and the learning curve is incredibly steep, but the feeling of satisfaction when you've made a decent print is unmatched by any other feeling I've had when preparing images otherwise.

I did not wish to derail this topic. Should we start a silver vs. digital topic? I saw one months and months back but can not find it.

Here is another color shot...

I intentionally stood in Ansel's footsteps - hehehehe - and not a whole lot has changed there since 1932... except for the ice pattern, the insects, spiders, and swallows that inhabit the cracks of the granite wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    The mount saint helens shot is very nice Rakesh.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree very strongly.

If behind glass, a digital B&W from one of the new inkjet printers can look very, very good...but silver gelatin prints have a certain look and feel in the hand that is still unmatched by any of today's papers. It's getting better, and there are some marvelous new papers that have just arrived and I'd love to try, but there is still no substitute.

On the other hand, digital and silver gelatin are two different and viable animals, and people should just accept that fact. Neither one should be superior to the other, it's just a preference. For me at this point in time, I consider a photograph to be an object, an art object in itself, and appreciate the inherent quality of work and time that goes into making it.

I've been printing digitally on inkjet for 6 years and have usually loved the results and the quickness of the workflow. However, over the last 6 months, when I started to undertake silver gelatin printing seriously, I have developed (no pun intended!) a passion for the traditional craft and art of B&W printing. Yes, it can be very frustrating and the learning curve is incredibly steep, but the feeling of satisfaction when you've made a decent print is unmatched by any other feeling I've had when preparing images otherwise.
    Paul, has used the words very pertinently.
    Digital and Silver are two different things.
    Photographers who work with silver are sometime criticized when instead of calling their works photographs call them silver prints.
    I think is importaqnt to inform the public of the nature of the work.
    Do you criticize the painter when he specifies Acrylic instead of oil?
    Why should it be different for photographers?

Here's a recent one made at sunrise from Black Point at Mono Lake.

Doug Dolde

From Joshua Tree on Groundhog Day this year. 4x5, 110mm, Provia 100.