Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a new color landscape thread?

Re: How about a new color landscape thread?

It is a big deal, use .biz or change the site name.

Hi Mike,

A recent shot with a Horseman Field Camera, 65mm Nikkor and Astia
    A stunning image - I really like your work, especially the Temporal Coast series - very inspiring!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for the kind words. I like the image you posted here and am experimenting with 160S at the moment. Any tips for scanning, exposing etc? I use Vuescan and also Epson s/ware (depending on the image) combined with a 4990 scanner for web output. For printing I send out for an Imacon scan.

Thanks,
    Mike

PS: I want your camera :-)

Hi Mike,

I'll email you offline to discuss 160s, but I did struggle with a bit with Vuescan for colour negatives - I have since found Silverfast suites me better for the 160s. I'm using the V700 scanner.

Cheers,
    Jonathan [I'm afraid I'm very happy with my camera :-) ]

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    It is a big deal, use .biz or change the site name.
    AFAIK, there is nothing written in stone or blood preventing individuals or businesses obtaining and using a dot-org domain name. Yes dot-org is often used by non-profits for their domains but it isn't unusual for a profit making business to capture a .com, .org, and .net domain name.

Ever hear of APUG.ORG? Not hardly what I would call a charitable organization.

Don Bryant

According to ICANN:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/

"In the 1980s, seven gTLDs (.com, .edu, .gov, .int, .mil, .net, and .org) were created. Domain names may be registered in three of these (.com, .net, and .org) without restriction; the other four have limited purposes."

Originally. .ORG names were intended for Non-Profit organizations, but I don't believe this is the case any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpng View Post
    Yes, but a squater has taken the .com. I didn't honestly know it was a big deal with the .org versus .com. They seem to be billed the same.
    What is the significance of your name? Goobus, like Goober - I think you can do better On the other hand, I feel your pain - the dot com of my url is also a godaddy advert. What an annoyance. I guess I'm part of the problem though - I've registered four names, three of which forward to my active site. Regardless of the appropriateness of the .org tag, if you put your mind to it I bet you can come up with a better name. Nice photo by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Ever hear of APUG.ORG? Not hardly what I would call a charitable organization...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    What is the significance of your name? Goobus, like Goober - I think you can do better On the other hand, I feel your pain - the dot com of my url is also a godaddy advert. What an annoyance. I guess I'm part of the problem though - I've registered four names, three of which forward to my active site. Regardless of the appropriateness of the .org tag, if you put your mind to it I bet you can come up with a better name. Nice photo by the way.

It's sort of an odd story. My wife's nickname is goo (nothing dirty there) and it over time had morphed to goobus. It's just one of those silly names that makes no sense really and it just sort of stuck.

I appreciate the feedback on the ICANN rules and am weighing the options with changing the domain name. There was more discussion around whether the domain was appropriate than if the photo was any good so that's probably not a good sign

Thanks again,
    Steve

Steve, I liked your photo. And the subject is also very familiar - that is one of the few lighthouses I can almost always correctly identify!

BTW, I don't think you should worry about the .org domain name - like Don and Robert pointed out, it's fairly common to use .org domains for commercial purposes, although I believe the original idea was probably non-commercial.

My kind of thread! Here's one from the Elk Range in Colorado, right before I ran back to the forest as the lightning started booming.