Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zion NP - Advice Sought

Re: Zion NP - Advice Sought

"Dave, I am most embarrassed as when I chased your link I was one of the responders"

I didn't even notice that. If you are around on the dates above and want to meet up let me know. Some other photogs will be along and we'll have a nice applewood fire going beside the river at night.

Have Fun!

Cheers Dave. Unfortunately my wife and I will not be in Zion until the first week of November. We will be in your previous neck of the woods in December however as we head out to Banff and Jasper. One benefit of LF is that it certainly does inspire one to travel. The expense of trips are worth it when you are able to capture with a device that makes "the final statement". Enjoy your trips to Zion and feel free to send a few pics.

The subway is a nice side trip.

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    The subway is a nice side trip.
    If you are in shape for it
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Well, before I was diagnosed with osteoarthrities in the phalangial joint of my left foot, I was kicking out 10 mile runs 4 times a week. Now, I'm down to three 5 mile runs a week with plenty of anti-inflammatory's. Surgery is scheduled for January to fuse the joint, with 8 weeks before I can put pressure on the foot again and 6 months before I will be running again full steam. Have had to resort to weight lifting to make up for the shortened runs, and I'm not particularly enjoying that. No runner wants to be too bulky. My wife works out right along side me and pushes me along (her one stride is equal to 1.5 of mine, so my turnover needs to be higher to keep pace, otherwise I'm staring at her backside for the entire run). The Subway was on the agenda as was the Virgin Narrows, but now you have me worried Jack. What kind of shape do you need to be in for these hikes? I was going to get a Pack from Bruce and ditch the Super Trekker, which should help out considerably. Changed my Merrells for a much stiffer and better built boot by Raichle to minimize flexing of that nasty joint. Anything else I should be prepared for?

In response to color filtering I totally agree with Doug, why not just do it in PS, thats one less piece of glass in front of your film/sensor, plus you have way more control in PS. The only filters I use are a polarizer and ND's and I've been photographing in southern UT and northern AZ for the past 3 years.

Now about the Zion backcountry- You need to be in reasonable-good shape for the subway, its almost 10 miles round trip and NEVER flat. You have to start before sunrise and will get back after sunset if you take you time with your photography. The hike is never difficult, just uneven and tiring. Stiff hiking boots are a must, and you can keep your feet dry if you're careful. The Narrows is a lot easier. You can start mid morning and spend up to about 4 hours hiking up to how ever far you wish(go atleast to Orderville Canyon) and then just hike back down, but it will quite nippy in november, and the light will be somewhat less interesting as the canyon walls are super tall and narrow. I have a few shots from the subway and narrows from this summer on my site.

Adam Kavalunas

www.plateauvisions.com

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    The Subway was on the agenda as was the Virgin Narrows, but now you have me worried Jack. What kind of shape do you need to be in for these hikes?
    It sounds as though you're in more than good enough shape for the narrows or subway. Just keep in mind that if you do the up-stream hike from the parking lot, I recommend good boots to protect your feet from rocks and gravel, and a wading staff for balance in some of the deeper, faster water sections. I also wore a pair of lightweight fishing waders (the waterproof-breathable type that fit inside your boots) and stayed a lot more comfortable than my buddy who went commando with hiking pants... Oh, and I'd recommend a buddy for safety if you're doing either spot...

Also, down along the Virgin River where other small streams come in when dryer weather, is the ONLY time I ever encountered quicksand. And yes, I was by myself and got really stuck. Took me a good half hour to pull myseff out using my tripod as a spike. I was covered from chest to toe in gooey, muddy sand and smelled like pond rot all the way back to the motel. Took me another good 2 hours to rinse sand, mud and gook out of my clothes, boots and tripod... FWIW.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

ND grads & an 81b

When I last spent time in St George UT, several years back, Camera Country still processed E6 film. Im not sure whether the info is out of date.

St George is about 45 min from Zion NP

Bob

If I went to the subway again I would get a pair of large heavy socks to put over my boots to use like felt fly fishing boots. It's not called slick rock for nuttin. I would plan on walking in some water. I walked out after breaking a metatarsel walking in my socks so I wouldn't slip. Walking in the cold water did feel good at that point. You don't have to be in great shape to make it. Leave the long lenses at your base camp. When I went I used a fuji GSW 690 and found it worked quite well.