Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

Re: Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

Doesn't anyone carry insurance for their gear?

I would't set foot outside the house without it.

If I have too much to carry everything on board I put the camera and tripod in a beat-up, unobtrusive, hard-shell suitcase surrounded by clothing. Nothing to indicate there's photography gear or anything else worthwhile inside. I check the suitcase and carry lenses, film, etc. on board in the backpack. So far no problems.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Sorry about your lost gear.

Usually, TSA leaves some sort of tracks (a note in or on your bag) when they open your luggage, but the airline baggage handlers just take stuff. I had an item (not expensive) pilfered from an outside pocket on my checked bag earlier this year. Every time I talked to the airline about it, their first response was to blame the TSA. I always lock my bag now to keep the airline thieves out of it. I use the TSA locks so TSA can get in if they need to.

I understand about having a large case, but I'd put my clothes, etc. in the large case and carry my expensive stuff on regardless, even if it wasn't packed as well--if you are carrying it, it's at less risk of rough handling than if it was in a bag.

Good luck on your claim.

The TSA locks thing is a nice idea poorly executed. First, the locks are childs play to break - any determined pilferer can get into the them right quick. Second most of the TSA folks don't have the keys to open the locks in actual practice - and if they do, so do the pilferers.

If you really must check in your camera, put the largest, scariest lock you can on the baggage and wait for the TSA to call you to open your luggage for a search. Then relock it nice and tight.

Hopelessly Lost

All valid points, especially the snakes, I like that. I don't know how it is for the rest of the country but the last 4 or 5 times I have flown, the TSA is no where to be found when checking in. Your bag is taken by the carrier and dissappears into the mire of the airport without anyone asking to search it. I would assume that they search bags in some secluded room, probably without cameras, and have their pick of the litter. As far as insurance goes, I just switched companies and I am in the process of trying to buy a house but the search is taking much longer than I thought. Needless to say, I gave up my renters policy then and have yet to get a homeowners policy. Probably one of the dumbest things Ive done in awhile but it still does not negate the fact that my gear went missing.

www.hollisbennett.com

I think your comments toward TSA in general are misplaced. Some thief and/or scumbag stole your gear. If they worked for TSA, then that's the only association. Making a generalization to the whole of TSA points to your biases. BTW, things got stolen from luggage long before TSA was around. Crime happens, don't check anything valuable. If you can't carry it on, then use some other means.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

I agree with the comment Cyrus made. I put TSA locks on my Pelican case the last time I flew with it and when I aarived at my desitnation, the shackle on one was bent at about a 45 degree angle and the other was broken open. Nothing was missing, fortunately. So, the locks are substandard and you would have to worry that the TSA key is a master for all such locks. Only one has to get loose and any criminal has access to all locked luggage. I doubt that the keys have the complexity of a Medeco-type key and can be copied easily.

I'm going to sound really thick here, but what does TSA standfor?

No one has mentioned an obvious way to avoid the airline hacks. If I can't carry it on and I must have it at my destination then I'll mail it by FedEx to my first nights' location. Typically I'll spend the first night in a B&B, where I've contacted the owners and arranged to have them receive my camera equipment. It costs extra bucks but I've always had my gear.

Hopelessly Lost

TSA is the gov. agency (one of many) that was formed in response to sept. 11 and stands for transportation security agency. In rebuttal to Paul's comment, put yourself in my place. Im a young, aspiring photographer and I just had my livelihood taken away from me by some 'thief and/or scumbag,' of course I am going to be bitter, critical and not as accepting as I should be. Big deal, Im human. Im sure anyone on here would be feeling the same things I am if this happened to them. Oh, and about the TSA master key, yeah, they are easy to get ahold of. I wanted to see how easy it would be to get one and am now in the possesion of one after all of 12 hours of looking for one. Secure, real secure indeed.

Hollis, I can commiserate with you. Earlier I had a cheap digital ($300) stolen while I got of the plane to stretch my legs at a stopover. Not that my loss was as great as yours, but it underlines the fact that thieves are everywhere.

I always carry my cameras and lenses on board with me. The only thing that goes into my checked luggage is a small, cheap Manfrotto. The most expensive things in there are probably a well-worn electric razor and my shoes.

I am always suspicious of having my bags x-rayed while they are out of my sight. What an invitation to remove whatever the handlers want. It would be more useful to have them x-rayed while you observe -- before they are checked. Then the luggage gorillas would have to open them up downstairs to see what was in them...less likely, I think, for them to steal your stuff.

Right after 9-11 Baltimore airport was doing just that. They ran an x-ray right after you left the ticket counter. You had to carry your bags over to them but they already were tagged. Unfortunately, this was a temporary solution and I don't think they do it that way anymore.

Appealing to the media is worthwhile, but they lose interest when the culprit is a big advertiser. Years ago I had some issues with GM, as did many other people. After printing someone's letter to the editor, I was told that the issue had been covered enough.

Note, however, that almost every state in the nation has small claims courts. Limits vary, but they are usually several thousand dollars. What I would do after I found what my settlement was going to be I would file suit for the balance. They have to appear or else you will get a judgement, unless the judge decides your case is frivolous.

I would then make my case to the media. This would generate a little more public interest and keep it in the public eye longer.

You represent yourself. They will probably send a lawyer, in which case you can get one, but it then goes to a higher court. If you are still representing yourself, you can elect to keep it in small claims. It will cost them money to fight you ... lawyers aren't cheap.

With a sympathetic judge you may win your case. I have watched judges help people with their case by asking leading questions. Or better yet, they may elect to pay your claim so that you do not set a precedent by getting a judgement against them. The two times I have gone to small claims court I went to the two preceding sessions to get an understanding of how they work.

One the other hand, the judge may throw it out on a technicality. But at least you tried. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Keep us posted. You have our support on this one.

We should all get stickers that say "Fight Airline Luggage Theft" to put on our luggage and cars.
    al