Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

Hopelessly Lost

Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

I decided to fly to El Paso last week to see some family vacationing in the mountains of Southern New Mexico and since I was going to be out there, I figured, what the heck, ill pack my gear and get some shots out at White Sands (one of my favorite places). Well, I pack my gear in a storm case, zip tie it and hand it off to the goons in Nashville to send it on its way. Well, when I got to El Paso and claimed my case, some one had decided to open it up (hence my feeling it was the f!@#ing TSA) and help themselves to my Canon 5D and about 4000.00 worth of lenses. On the upside, my 4x5 and all associated minutiae (lenses, meter, holders, polaroid, etc.) was undisturbed.

So, watch your stuff and do not trust the TSA. Also, anyone who was as unfortunate as me and know how to deal with these people, please, let me know.

Hollis

www.hollisbennett.com

Re: Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

That sucks. What was their answer? Will they investigate the staff and what happened? What compensation are they offering? And how long will it take? Don't they understand the impact on the individual about their work and life? Good luck and keep us posted.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

The message here is clear:

1. Checking cameras is risky. Carryon is always better.

2. If you must check your camera, open the container at the airport to make sure that everything is there. That way, if something is missing, you can immediately file a claim, and supposedly TSA is responsible about addressing those claims. But if you leave the airport and later find that something is missing, you don't stand much chance in getting relief.

3d Visual Effects artist

I carry on my camera bag. Not sure what I would do if I had two bags/packs of cameras, so far I haven't run into that situation though.

Hopelessly Lost

Sometimes you can't carry on your camera. The case I have is a fairly large storm case due to the fact that I wanted one with wheels. I did file a claim but it was with the air carrier as soon as I got my bag. I am in the process of collecting receipts and serial numbers so that I can fill out form TS-95 to the best of my ability. Naturally, I was fuming mad when it first happened and I wanted to rip someone from limb to limb but now I just want this to be taken care of. That digital is what I made my money with and I am up the proverbial shit creek. Ill keep everyone posted how it turns out.

When my laptop was stolen pre-9/11 by baggage handlers at LaGuardia I got nothing. Pilferage was rampant at LaGuardia, it was later discovered, but the carrier took no responsibility, the airport didn't offer any recourse except to report it to airport police, which I did. At least they didn't touch the Canon F-1N or lenses that were in the same compartment.

Given how easy it is for baggage handlers to pilfer items in checked baggage (and I suspect them more than I suspect the TSA, since the hiring process is less rigorous for such people), it is presumably just as easy to get something into checked baggage.

As far as i know, the airlines don't cover lost or damaged photo gear so that won't help. I'd be suprised if the tsa did either. I've dealt with the tsa regarding the tsa "certified" padlocks that get broken off in transit. Good luck. It took me months just to get $20. They could care less about you.

Photographer

Sorry about your lost gear.

Usually, TSA leaves some sort of tracks (a note in or on your bag) when they open your luggage, but the airline baggage handlers just take stuff. I had an item (not expensive) pilfered from an outside pocket on my checked bag earlier this year. Every time I talked to the airline about it, their first response was to blame the TSA. I always lock my bag now to keep the airline thieves out of it. I use the TSA locks so TSA can get in if they need to.

I understand about having a large case, but I'd put my clothes, etc. in the large case and carry my expensive stuff on regardless, even if it wasn't packed as well--if you are carrying it, it's at less risk of rough handling than if it was in a bag.

Good luck on your claim.
    Keith Pitman

Theft rings at major airports are unfortunately not that unusual. The biggest problem is that while the TSA wants more access to your luggage, they are unwilling to compensate anyone for loss or damage beyond $300 (might be more, depending upon airline). Gear insurance can help, if you have a policy that covers airline flight issues. Unfortunately, if you travel and have a paid shoot to do, and your gear does not get to your final location, that insurance claim will do little to solve immediate issues. Best bet is to use another carrier (FedEX, UPS, DHL, etc. depending upon preference), and insure everything shipped that way.

My current worst case item going into checked luggage is my tripod. Usually I take it apart so it fits better, and to minimize damage. I figure worst case is I would have to buy another tripod at my final destination, in the event mine gets destroyed.

More airlines need to go out of business, especially the ones unwilling to help travelers when bad things occur. Maybe then the responsible airlines will remain, and service might actually improve, maybe even enough that people want to fly more often. Shame Amtrak does not go to more locations quicker.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I would contact the media.