Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

Re: Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by davidbram View Post
    I would contact the media.
    Agreed (and make a big ol' stink until someone who can do something about it takes notice).

Hopelessly Lost

Again, thank you all for your comments. A bit more info...

American Airlines (my carrier, unfortunately) denies any liablility for 'photography equipment, video equipment, art, antiques, electronics, etc.etc.etc' and are unwilling at the moment to help me out. When I first reported it to them (minutes after receiving my bag) they were very unsympathetic and down right rude but by keeping my cool I was able to convince them to start a claim for me, for what it is worth. After reading the paperwork, it looks like they are only liable for up to $2800.00, if they are liable at all. I have emailed the Nashville newspaper and hopefully someone there will help me to bring pressure on the situation. I feel that I am essentially at the bottom right now and any action would be good action. Also, something odd, did you know that claims through the TSA that are paid are paid through the Coast Guard. Odd.

I would make sure and not elect ANYBODY who is currently in office and urge a newly elected official to purge his or her staff of existing employees..Evan Clarke

Sorry for your loss.

You might check to see if your homeowners policy offers any coverage.

This isn't anything new --- the airlines limited their responsibility decades before the current TSA regulations. It is important to have your gear covered by your own insurance policy. That's the only way you can be sure you are covered.

Rio Oso shooter

I am not a professional but I am sick and tired of the airline thing. I live in northern California and my wife wanted to fly to New Mexico. I took an extra couple of days off and we are driving. It will be nice to shoot along the way anyway. Only 17 hours of driving. I hate the airlines and their crappy attitude towards their customers. Any other business would be out of business. They want access to your baggage but are unwilling to work with you about losses. They bitch about the amount of carry ons that you have when they refuse to do anything about the thievery. TSA and the film thing is a pain in the ass also. I am sure that I can find some interesting stops along the way to break up the trip.

Richard Adams

Sorry for your loss. It serves as a good reminder for the rest of us. Trust no one.

Next time, try putting in with your gear some small life-like baby rattlesnakes. Just might give one of those goons a well-deserved heart attack.

I share Richard's view. When I decided on a vacation spot last fall, one requirement was that it be close enough to drive to. I sure as heck wasn't going to trust my LF gear to those thieves and gorillas at the airports.

And if my next domestic vacation spot is too far to drive, I'll just ship ahead much of my gear, taking some of the more valuable pieces as carry-on.

QUOTE=riooso;263704]I am not a professional but I am sick and tired of the airline thing. I live in northern California and my wife wanted to fly to New Mexico. I took an extra couple of days off and we are driving. It will be nice to shoot along the way anyway. Only 17 hours of driving. I hate the airlines and their crappy attitude towards their customers. Any other business would be out of business. They want access to your baggage but are unwilling to work with you about losses. They bitch about the amount of carry ons that you have when they refuse to do anything about the thievery. TSA and the film thing is a pain in the ass also. I am sure that I can find some interesting stops along the way to break up the trip.

Richard Adams[/QUOTE]

Scott Davis

Forget rattlesnakes- too survivable if bitten I'd go for Black Mambas. Or Funnel Web spiders from Australia.

As far as checking a tripod goes, I always check mine in a Tenba TTP 34 case with the head on and the handles loose or removed, and usually some other small items like light meters and such. I've watched from the window at the gate as it's gone flying off a baggage truck onto the tarmac after making a sharp turn, and everything's always come through okay. I suspect that thieves may just not recognize tripods as valuable items, and they are harder to sneak out than laptops or SLRs.

Have said for a while, if we have to go through the baggage checks, through the x-rays and emptying our pockets, aside from the fact that for security purposes there should be no reason why all baggage handlers shouldn't be x-rayed and checked both on the way in and out of work like us. We pay the damn money and have to go through the modern hell of the flying experience, they get paid but don't have to put up with even the slightest inconvenience to cut down the frankly embarresingly pathetic reputation flying has in this - the 21st century. Of course the unions wouldn't even start to let it happen.

Carry on luggage I'm afraid (screw lunch and a book) and lots of insurance...

Sorry to hear that.

I agree with others that raising a stink in the media is a good idea. People are very sensitive to airport issues, be it airline customer service, TSA efficiency and integrity, and overall security issues. The general public wants to see a better functioning of this environment to indicate that we have made some progress post 9/11, and these sorts of stories are triggers for the media to the contrary, so I think your story has traction. One of the parties, such as the airline may then just want to make you happy so that you will go away. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I also use the TSA approved baggage locks, the ones only they can open, when I ship gear in the hold. That might place the blame more squarely on their doorstep, should anything happen, and in that instance they may have to answer for more. It's hard when such a big bureaucracy turns its broad back to you.

I have also read on this site that people's homeowner insurance policies can come up to the bat for this, even if only on a one time basis. For future reference, business insurance, which doesn't have to be more than 500-900 per year, depending on how much gear you have, gives a lot of coverage, not to mention peace of mind.